What's new

HIDEMYASS ! setup for RT-N66U Merlin

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

abl75

Occasional Visitor
Hidemyass does work on the RT-N66U with Merlin build, I got it working with 3.0.0.4.372.31 with help form HMA support.

The problem most people have had was that the Tomato Setup tutorial on HMA web.site was WRONG !!! Incredible...

So here are the right parameters to include on the ASUSWRT-Merlin GUI:

OPENVPN Client Settings
Start with WAN: YES
Interface Type: TUN
Protocol: UDP
Server Address: your choice of HMA server
Port: 443 for TCP 53 for UDP
Firewall: Automatic
Authorization mode: TLS
Username/Password Authentication: Yes
Username: your HMA username
Password: your HMA password
Username Auth. Only: No
Extra HMAC authorization: Disabled
Create NAT on tunnel: Yes
Poll Interval: 0
Redirect Internet traffic:Yes
Accept DNS Configuration: Disabled
Encryption cipher: BF-CBC
Compression: Disabled
TLS Renegotiation Time: -1
Connection Retry: 30
Verify Server Certificate: No
Custom Configuration: ns-cert-type server

Open VPN Keys
On each of the three certificates needed: Certificate Authority, Client certificate and Client key ONLY include the text from the HMA provided certificates from and including the line "-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----" to and including the line: "-----END CERTIFICATE-----". With no extra empy lines or other information.

That never exceeds field size on ASUSWRT-Merlin GUI and is rarely longer than 1500 characters.

WAN / Internet Settings
"WAN DNS Setting" should be:
Connect to DNS Server automatically No
DNS Server1: your choice of DNS Server
DNS Server2: your choice of alternate DNS Server

Suggestions can be found on:http://compnetworking.about.com/od/dns_domainnamesystem/tp/top-free-internet-dns-servers.htm

As a final commennt the support person form HMA indicated that they expect to release official ASUSWRT-Merlin support soon, including automated installers for those inexperienced with routers...

Enjoy your great routers with HMA! and Merlin's great software !!

Merlin, thanks again !!:)

Certificate

How/Where do I obtain the VPN keys? I have an active HMA account

Nevermind: That was a lazy request. Didn't bother looking into the .ovpn file. sorry

Last edited:
Slow Speeds

Thanks for the detailed config values. I got it to work at router level but the speeds i am getting on both TCP mode and UDP mode are 1/5th of what I was getting if i ran the HMA Custom VPN program pointing to the same Loc#S#.

If the speed drop using router level config is expected then what is the estimated drop in speed ratio when compared to running VPN on individual clients?

Let me know if you are facing a similar issue

Thanks

Thanks for the detailed config values. I got it to work at router level but the speeds i am getting on both TCP mode and UDP mode are 1/5th of what I was getting if i ran the HMA Custom VPN program pointing to the same Loc#S#.

If the speed drop using router level config is expected then what is the estimated drop in speed ratio when compared to running VPN on individual clients?

Let me know if you are facing a similar issue

Thanks

I am not having that problem. I barely see a 5% bandwith loss.

The RT-AC66/N66 CPU will cap OpenVPN bandwith to around 20 Mbits max. That's assuming the router isn't doing anything else at the same time.

If you need faster VPN performance, look into the RT-AC56U. I was able to push that one to 60 Mbits in my tests.