What's new

[SOLVED]high CPU load even after factory reset

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Milan

i am using 384.9 on AC-3200. a week ago i was testing diversion and to the cleanup router, i have done a factory reset. after this time there is high CPU load (mainly nt-center process and httpd). in meanwhile i have done multiple factory resets to try to remove this but no luck.
when i instal entware, transmission, diversion and Skynet, then the CPUs are @ full load permanently.
what might be a problem?

How did you do the factory reset? Exact steps are necessary here.

How did you configure the router afterward? Again, exact steps.

from the admin page, full init.

set basics for WLAN, set WAN connection.
enable jffs, reformat on next start then reboot.

then even without enatware and others still high load from nt-center(20%) and httpd when clicked anywhere in GUI. GUI is then slow too.

install enware (htop, haveged,transmission, netdata), configure transmission folders, reboot

this was my setup before expoerimenting with diversion, always working fine. when it was slow then it was enought to do firm reset.

now, as i mentioned even without entwarethe gui si really slow ...

(connected Samsung SSD)

you've installed entware, so you can access the device via terminal:

What shows up with high cpu value when you run the top command?

Note: 50% cpu usage is "100% of a core" on a two core system like asus ac3200

I had this issue, googled application with the top cpu resource hog in regards to this issue and was able to determine which router feature used this application. disabled the feature in the gui and it never came back.

(I would give you the exact feature I turned off as an easy test, but I don't recall... I think it was samba?)

so after multiple factory resets i was able to make it speedy as before. so i installed entware, added diversion, amtm, QOS modification. speed was still ok - GUI was reacting quick, new terminal windows were opening quickly.
then i installed and enabled skynet, restarted and bam - again everything slow like hell - even opening terminal let the dropbear to utilize CPUs to full for secs ...
again done multiple factory resets, still no luck to get it back. even without anything enabled it is shoving CPU numbers in top more as 2 in load.
i am out of ideas, why are even GUI and dropbear slow like hell.

some issues due to freq. flashing or due age?
now using 384.10 beta but this behaviour is same on any other version ...

just i see that when downloading stuff via ethernet the CPUs are at 100 percents and kworker and ksoftirq are consuming all the cpus.
i am out of ideas, i will start to look for a new router ...

I see that you have install many custom scripts, so I dont know my method will help.
It did works well for me when I experience high CPU load that persist thru out reboot / factory reset after firmware upgrades.

power off the router for 30 sec+
hold wps button while powering on, wait till the power led start blinking
release the wps button and wait for it to boot up probably.
now manually reconfigure everything.

I will keep the change to minimal (as no custom script) here for few days to make sure it's not hardware issue.

ubelievable.
refreshing of the clkfreq and reboot solved all issues - now everything is speedy as was before ...
thanks all for their ideas...

ubelievable.
refreshing of the clkfreq and reboot solved all issues - now everything is speedy as was before ...
thanks all for their ideas...

Not unbelievable to me! :)

ya ok, i will understand it when the freqs will be changed and saved to cfe but i have done only nvram change. after reboot, there were used the same freqs as days before (1400/800)...

Different model router (AC86U) but I had exactly the same issue - high CPU cores after installing all the usual scripts Freshjr, amtm contents etc.., couple of reboots (5-10 minutes between them) resolved it.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!