What's new

High CPU usage after AC68U update to 3.0.0.4.380.4164

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wahoowad

Regular Contributor
Did my first firmware update...wondering if I should have left things well enough alone :(

My AC68U was running fine on the 3.0.0.4.378_9313 it came with. Today I updated the firmware to 3.0.0.4.380.4164 and now notice both CPU's are bouncing around between 50% and 100%. Previously I usually only had one or the other CPU showing any load, usually around 25%.

So is constantly between 50% and 100% normal? I have 12 clients (iphones, ipads, laptops, roku, etc) but only have 1 person leisurely looking at youtube videos which should not tax it at all.

What's going on?

try doing a full factory reset and manually enter any data needed as you may have some updating issues and a factory reset usually fixes it , important that you do the manual data entry after reset and NOT use a backup / restore from an older fw

pete

I don't know what is normal and what isn't, just it wasn't like this previously. The cpu's seem to be 180 degrees out of phase with each other if you look at the graphs, just bouncing back and forth.

Also noticing memory utilization much higher...

27mb free
223mb used

If I had a bunch of devices streaming I would think it normal. Wife is only looking at randon short youtube videos and I'm just looking at this website and the unit's admin console., so very very little download/upload activity.

Oh man, a full factory reset sounds intimidating. I don't do much with the unit so am wondering what I would lose.

I do have a USB backup device hanging off of it with some access credentials created. I also did the remote access thing using ASUS' DNS service...just forget where and how all that is set up. Crap. Really wish I had left it alone.

Oh man, a full factory reset sounds intimidating. I don't do much with the unit so am wondering what I would lose.

I do have a USB backup device hanging off of it with some access credentials created. I also did the remote access thing using ASUS' DNS service...just forget where and how all that is set up. Crap. Really wish I had left it alone.
Not sure about Normal as I"ve never looked at status before; but purchasing same router, and updatigng with same firmware version, my CPU and RAM are doing the same as yours. I've 23 devices connected; but only two are being used currently. I have done the factory reset changing only the SSIDs not the passwords; doesn't take as long as I thought. Router seems to be working as expected.

Pete,

By the way, thanks for your help :)

I just spent about 15 minutes clicking thru all my screens and taking screenshots of various settings so I could go do the factory reset. Then glanced at those cpu graphs again and they were idle! I am running a few video streams and they are still loafing along like before the update. Weird.... not sure what to think about that.

Not sure about Normal as I"ve never looked at status before; but purchasing same router, and updatigng with same firmware version, my CPU and RAM are doing the same as yours. I've 23 devices connected; but only two are being used currently. I have done the factory reset changing only the SSIDs not the passwords; doesn't take as long as I thought. Router seems to be working as expected.
I will add, I was having problems initally as I had uploaded the settings saved from my RT-N66; these were corrected by the factory reset after uploading current version firmware.

I will add, I was having problems initally as I had uploaded the settings saved from my RT-N66; these were corrected by the factory reset after uploading current version firmware.
cool avatar!

Pete,

By the way, thanks for your help :)

I just spent about 15 minutes clicking thru all my screens and taking screenshots of various settings so I could go do the factory reset. Then glanced at those cpu graphs again and they were idle! I am running a few video streams and they are still loafing along like before the update. Weird.... not sure what to think about that.

When was the last time you had rebooted?

After updating the firmware, the router rebooted, and it probably had to rescan your entire media library.

After updating the firmware, the router rebooted, and it probably had to rescan your entire media library.

good point and one i missed , always forget about usb connected devices as i never use them , go NAS go :)

When was the last time you had rebooted?

My last prior restart had been 44 days prior. Probably a power outage as I haven't had to reboot for any performance reasons.

I don't have a media library, unless the 500gb USB2 drive I have hanging off of it counts. I use it as a NAS and write backups to it. Would it scan all those files? If so, why?

Last edited:
Most Linux based systems (which the router is) will do a file system integrity check after an abnormal shutdown or after a certain number of reboots. I suspect that might be the issue. It can take quite a long time depending on the size/speed of the drive and how many files are on it.

My last prior restart had been 44 days prior. Probably a power outage as I haven't had to reboot for any performance reasons.

I don't have a media library, unless the 500gb USB2 drive I have hanging off of it counts. I use it as a NAS and write backups to it. Would it scan all those files? If so, why?

The Media Server is enabled by default, disable it under USB Application -> Media Services.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!