What's new

High cpu usage - Core 1 when using BTTV IPTV 4K Channel

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wesbez

Regular Contributor
I’ve done a nvram clearing using the wps - power down - wait 30sec - keep wps button held and power on until the power led’s flash. Reconfigure settings.

When watching the iptv 4k channel on BT I get a stuttering picture and notice the core 1 rockets to 100%. I’m using a RT56U with 384.5 Merlin. I have to change to another iptv channel or sometimes reboot the router just to get things unstuck. Nothing I’ve tried works.
IMG_0187.jpg

Iptv setting below.
IMG_0188.jpg

Wan > internet connection
IMG_0189.jpg

I’ve seen some say turn this off. I had it on and off, made no difference (enable vpn ........- special requirement from isp) . Other channels worked no matter if off or on.

When plugging in a BTHH5 and replacing my ASUS router I can get the 4K channel to work. Did this to rule out a ISP issue. Obviously I want to use my ASUS router.

Last edited:
Another forum member has also mentioned to me their 4K stream won’t work now either. All other IPTV channels work on BTTV except the 4K BT sport channel. Hopefully @RMerlin could shed some light.

Another forum member has also mentioned to me their 4K stream won’t work now either. All other IPTV channels work on BTTV except the 4K BT sport channel. Hopefully @RMerlin could shed some light.
That'd be me. From reading, its to do with multicast. I would need managed switches (according to BT forums) since I have 2-3 switches between router and BT box. May try a direct cable run since IGMP snooping is enabled on router.

I’ve got a direct run to the ASUS router. It still doesn’t work. If you try to turn multicast on to the Ethernet port only it doesn’t work. Ie only turn multicast on for the port the BTTV box is connected to, although I haven’t tried this for some time. I Might give that a go. I’ve also got two AP’s in my setup behind the router. I’m going to see if removing the AP’s makes any difference.

One of my AP’s is a old BTHH5. I’ll try remove it from my system to see if that makes a difference because it’s not designed to be a AP. I hacked it to run like that and it’s worked in the past with the 4K channel. I’ll also grab a managed switch later today if all else fails.

What article did you read. Can you link it.

I’ve got a direct run to the ASUS router. It still doesn’t work. If you try to turn multicast on to the Ethernet port only it doesn’t work. Ie only turn multicast on for the port the BTTV box is connected to, although I haven’t tried this for some time. I Might give that a go. I’ve also got two AP’s in my setup behind the router. I’m going to see if removing the AP’s makes any difference.

One of my AP’s is a old BTHH5. I’ll try remove it from my system to see if that makes a difference because it’s not designed to be a AP. I hacked it to run like that and it’s worked in the past with the 4K channel. I’ll also grab a managed switch later today if all else fails.

What article did you read. Can you link it.
https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-se...K-problems-with-NOW-TV-SMART-box/td-p/1772070

A direct run got it working for me, but when I went back to the original connection it still worked, oddly. Cpu load was about 70%. What speed is the 56U clocked at?

https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-se...K-problems-with-NOW-TV-SMART-box/td-p/1772070

A direct run got it working for me, but when I went back to the original connection it still worked, oddly. Cpu load was about 70%. What speed is the 56U clocked at?

I’ve had no problems until recently. 800mhz duel core. It runs pretty hot just standard so I don’t want to overclock.

Got a managed switch. I’m able to login but not sure what to changed. Tried its QOS on the switch. New to managed switches, so I’m scouting the internet for a solution. The problem with IPTV is that it’s just flooding the lan & especially on the 4K channel.

Thanks for the link.

So today you’ll see the spike over the last 24hr graph. There was a huge spike. That was round 2am using the 4K channel. Then I saw late last night there was a update to merlin 384.6, which I did. Now if you look, I tried the 4K channel again at 3pm ish today (on the right) and it’s tiny compared to the spike. That is trying to watch the same channel. I can actually get picture on the 4K channel now with stutter. It’s not watchable though. So it must be a bug.

IMG_2361.jpg

Last edited:
Is your CPU still at 100% when watching IPTV?

What is your normal internet download speed?

Yes completely hits 100% but with the new update 384.6, I at least get some picture. I have a 75/20 line. IPTV data comes up as upload strangely. All other channels work.