What's new

High CPU usage...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JaimeZX

htop shows
Code:
grep -E reply.* is 203.205.179.205 /opt/var/log/dnsmasq.log /opt/var/log/dnsmasq.log1 /opt/var/log/dnsmasq.log2
is using 80%-97% CPU and there seems to be a "sister" task,
Code:
/opt/bin/grep -aw 192\.168\.X\.91 /opt/var/log/dnsmasq.log /opt/var/log/dnsmasq.log1 /opt/var/log/dnsmasq.log2
using about 20-33% CPU.

The second local IP seems to be changing with time.
What is going on?

htop shows
Code:
grep -E reply.* is 203.205.179.205 /opt/var/log/dnsmasq.log /opt/var/log/dnsmasq.log1 /opt/var/log/dnsmasq.log2
is using 80%-97% CPU and there seems to be a "sister" task,
Code:
/opt/bin/grep -aw 192\.168\.X\.91 /opt/var/log/dnsmasq.log /opt/var/log/dnsmasq.log1 /opt/var/log/dnsmasq.log2
using about 20-33% CPU.

The second local IP seems to be changing with time.
What is going on?
uiDivStats?

Hit F5 in htop to show a tree view of what is calling the grep commands. Post a screenshot.

I imagine it’s contention between SkyNet and uiDivStats both running at :00 every hour.

Per your request. I like your theory, but I noticed it at :57 the first time...?

2019-12-17-htop1.png

2019-12-17-htop2.png

:facepalm: to the scroll-down. Please see below. :)

2019-12-17-htop3.png

Also, yes. I often have the Skynet "debug" thing up in an SSH, but I've never noticed it driving high CPU usage before. You think I just overlooked it?

Edit: so I CTRL_C'd out of the Skynet debug and now the /grep thing has dropped to ~50% of processor...

:facepalm: to the scroll-down. Please see below. :)

2019-12-17-htop3.png

Also, yes. I often have the Skynet "debug" thing up in an SSH, but I've never noticed it driving high CPU usage before. You think I just overlooked it?

Edit: so I CTRL_C'd out of the Skynet debug and now the /grep thing has dropped to ~50% of processor...
I’ve never run the debug watch myself, but if your dnsmasq log files are large it could have an impact especially when uiDivStats is trying to read the same files.

It could almost be an option in SkyNet to disable that extra log searching, but if it finds the dnsmasq.log file, it enables it automatically.

In general, and with an infinite number of exceptions, debug modes can easily increase resource usage by 2x or 3x "normal" as they are meant for very brief intervals. No experience with this app in particular, but 2x cpu certainly wouldn't surprise me.