What's new

High DATA RECEIVED on multiple devices

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

t2clej

Occasional Visitor
I am not sure where to start - I apologize. Today my Tivo was running very slow with TV lagging. I check my 2 mac minis and my 2 synology NAS and they were ALL receiving data at an extremely high rate - over 50MB/s each Mac mini and over 15MB/s synology NAS. I have little snitch running on one mac mini but it does not show anything like that being downloaded.

I restarted one of the mac minis and same thing, very high "data received /sec" on mac activity monitor. Currently, data received on one mac says 17.31 GB after restart (my other mac has 268.94 GB data received) However, little snitch firewall only says 59.2 MB.

So BIG discrepancy. If I disable the ethernet port using system settings, still receiving data. Only way to stop it is to unplug the cat6 cable. I also tried blocking the device via router interface and it still shows that it is receiving data.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
What router ?
Firewall enabled ?
Enable Web Access from WAN is turned off ?

Do you have Icloud enabled? Try disabling that on some of the Apple devices. I think Apple just pushed updates to a bunch of Iphones. My guess is it's either directly related to that, or the devices downloading updated apps for the updated iOS.

Does the Eero have firewall logs? Also, how much does the Eero monitoring service itself take up?

Do you have Icloud enabled? Try disabling that on some of the Apple devices. I think Apple just pushed updates to a bunch of Iphones. My guess is it's either directly related to that, or the devices downloading updated apps for the updated iOS.

Does the Eero have firewall logs? Also, how much does the Eero monitoring service itself take up?

Yes I have iCloud enabled on 1 mac but not the other and that does not explain the two synology NAS having same problem.

I don't about eero monitoring service but it happened before I started using eero plus and then happened after as well. So don't think it related to that.

I'll call eero about logs

What kind of detail does the activity monitor show? Would privacy allow you to post a screenshot or text grab of it's contents? Does it show IP's or ports? Time stamps? I have never used it, but LuLu looks like something that might be useful for troubleshooting. What model router do you have and what kind of bandwidth monitoring does it have?

What kind of detail does the activity monitor show? Would privacy allow you to post a screenshot or text grab of it's contents? Does it show IP's or ports? Time stamps? I have never used it, but LuLu looks like something that might be useful for troubleshooting. What model router do you have and what kind of bandwidth monitoring does it have?

Yes, I have attached from one machine - you can see it downloading at 12.3MB/s and the other one partially hidden is over 20MB/s. Both were at 50+MB/s for some time.

I'm currently using eero - so not bandwidth monitoring. Thinking of switching over to untangle or something like that. I have at&t gigabit so finding something that will allow me to use that is important. I'm open to suggestions. Thank you.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2017-10-28 11.58.20.png
    Screenshot 2017-10-28 11.58.20.png
    256.4 KB · Views: 320
Well that is what the traffic monitor is saying most of the traffic is being used for. Was that screenshot taken before or after disabling screen sharing? I also see big update to the kernal, which I assume was a update to the OSX? If so, has it finished updating?

I looked around and seems Eero doesn't offer bandwidth monitoring in anyway, and I don't know any tools like Wireshark for OSX. Without the proper tools to look at the data, all you can do is try turning different devices and services on/off and see how the traffic changes.

Well that is what the traffic monitor is saying most of the traffic is being used for. Was that screenshot taken before or after disabling screen sharing? I also see big update to the kernal, which I assume was a update to the OSX? If so, has it finished updating?

I looked around and seems Eero doesn't offer bandwidth monitoring in anyway, and I don't know any tools like Wireshark for OSX. Without the proper tools to look at the data, all you can do is try turning different devices and services on/off and see how the traffic changes.

So the activity monitor showed greater than 50MB/s in "data received/sec" and this occurred for over 30 minutes. I wish I had the original screenshot. It showed over 300GB in "data received" for just one of the 4 machines.

There was NO corresponding entry in processes that even came close to that amount of data. And this was on 2 macs and 2 synology NAS. Additionally, Little Snitch did not show that amount of data having been downloaded.

I'm looking at untangle for firewall, etc. Any suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I will politely bow out of this one then to let people with more OSX experience then I help. If you get stuck and no one else can help, I can dig around google, but getting experienced input would be better. Good luck!

I will politely bow out of this one then to let people with more OSX experience then I help. If you get stuck and no one else can help, I can dig around google, but getting experienced input would be better. Good luck!

I appreciate your time. I'll update if I ever figure out what happened.