What's new

High Ping Through Bogon IP

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

micahelriley

Occasional Visitor
Hi, recently I noticed very high ping when completing a traceroute or using pingplotter with hops 1 and 2 showing 50-90% packet loss. Intially I thought this was a double NAT issue, but after a little research I found that hop 2 is a private bogon address.

Is this something my ISP configured to disguise an IP, should it be there at all in a traceroute and if so I susepct the high packet loss is not normal? I'm also thinking it could be a dos attack, but any insight is appreciated.

For refernce the high packet loss either comes from my domain at hop 1, or hop 2, the bogon, 10.86.64.1. Seems pinging different domains results in the packet loss changing from hop 1 to 2 and vis versa, perhaps it's just a result of the bogon in either case.

thanks,

Bob

Perfectly normal.

P.S. They're not really bogon's, they're private IP addresses used by your ISP's network.

Last edited:
It's common for network infrastructure to have ICMP rate limiting configured on the device--it takes CPU to generate ping replies, so rate limiting is a defense against denial of service attacks.
With regards to packet loss on specific hops, packet loss is cumulative--if say hop 2 is dropping your traffic, you'd see similar behavior for hops 3 and onward. I'd only worry about individual hop behavior if you're seeing high latency or packet loss against the destination.