What's new

High pitched whine from Netgear Dual Speed Hub?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Shakedown St.

New Around Here
Hello to all, I've got a high pitched whine coming from my Netgear Dual Speed Hub (DS104) when it is plugged in. Tried ignoring it but it was getting on my nerves, I tried the D-Link DGS-1100 switch thinking it was the brand but same problem.

I read somewhere that the noise would go away once you start plugging in multiple devices, but it only got louder when doing so. Could it be bad capacitors in both devices? Bad power supply?

Hello to all, I've got a high pitched whine coming from my Netgear Dual Speed Hub (DS104) when it is plugged in. Tried ignoring it but it was getting on my nerves, I tried the D-Link DGS-1100 switch thinking it was the brand but same problem.

I read somewhere that the noise would go away once you start plugging in multiple devices, but it only got louder when doing so. Could it be bad capacitors in both devices? Bad power supply?

Same problem two different switches would make me think power source not the devices themselves, I'm not saying it's not possible just not likely. If your running a UPS I'd check that first, then the power strip, the wall receptacle.... Make sure your wall warts are fully seated....

More like a poor shielding(poor ground) for switcing PSU circuit.

Yep, all I have to do is put my hands over each exposed vent at the bottom of the device and it blocks the squeal, I could try taping it if it'll overheat not sure.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coil_noise

Probably from the DC side of the power rail... it's harmless if not annoying to some...

Most hardware engineers do try to avoid this, but sometimes, mostly based on cost reduction, this will pop up...

better capacitors can help, not sure of the exact value and type to use but this is caused by the DC voltage being a bit AC like, the capacitors will just lessen the deviation so the wiring doesnt produce sound (a bit like using a transformer as a speaker -
).

So you can fix this using a capacitor or building a transistor circuit to get a constant output voltage or change your PSU. Non consumer network hardware tend to have a range of voltage that they accept as they usually have a transistor circuit to keep the voltage constant so using such hardware will not have any coil whine. Typically POE based devices that have a decent voltage range will have this.

Some UPS have voltage smoothing built in as it could be a problem with the power provided to your house.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!