What's new

High power wireless router - DHCP trouble

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

steve4544

New Around Here
I was seduced by the promise of a no-name, 1-watt G router for $50. This is several times the normal transmit power. I am setting up wireless access to a church campus with a diameter of about 300 ft.

The router does indeed have a stonger signal and longer range than others I have used, but...

My problem is with DHCP - the router's WAN port does not get an IP adress from my Time Warner cable modem (Arris TM502G - also provides phone service).

Both my MacBook and Netgear WNR834B are able to get IP addresses from the cable modem.

I have been able to make things work by assigning a static IP address to the router's WAN port. I found the current IP address by connecting my laptop directly to the cable modem. This is not a reliable solution, because the lease on that address will expire in a day and the router will not renew it, since it thinks it has a static address.

After much searching, I found that the device is made by a Taipei company, Argtek. They mostly sell to OEMs and have no useful information or updates on their web site.

Any ideas would be appreciated. I have thought of capturing the DHCP packets sent by the router and checking for errors in the request. But I have no way fix anything because I can't modify the router's firmware.

Thanks very much for any suggestions.

Steve

I was seduced by the promise of a no-name, 1-watt G router for $50. This is several times the normal transmit power. I am setting up wireless access to a church campus with a diameter of about 300 ft.

The router does indeed have a stonger signal and longer range than others I have used, but...

My problem is with DHCP - the router's WAN port does not get an IP adress from my Time Warner cable modem (Arris TM502G - also provides phone service).

Both my MacBook and Netgear WNR834B are able to get IP addresses from the cable modem.

I have been able to make things work by assigning a static IP address to the router's WAN port. I found the current IP address by connecting my laptop directly to the cable modem. This is not a reliable solution, because the lease on that address will expire in a day and the router will not renew it, since it thinks it has a static address.

After much searching, I found that the device is made by a Taipei company, Argtek. They mostly sell to OEMs and have no useful information or updates on their web site.

Any ideas would be appreciated. I have thought of capturing the DHCP packets sent by the router and checking for errors in the request. But I have no way fix anything because I can't modify the router's firmware.

Thanks very much for any suggestions.

Steve
Can't you set the allocation range of the DHCP service to a small number, then pick fixed addresses outside the range?
I, too was seduced by the argtek routers. Got 2 brand new 1211s for $10 each. Now 1500 mW, and allegedly upgradable to dd-wrt, but I haven't tried that yet. They did mention on the web that there's a (literally) Chinese Copy out there that has one fake Antenna, and possibly other defects, but mine checked out OK. I am having trouble getting it to play nice with my UVerse main router, but watch this space...

Sadly, the user you replied to hasn't been active for 7+ years. ;)

What sort of problems are you having with getting the APs to work with the UVerse router? Try hard to avoid double-NAT.

Sadly, the user you replied to hasn't been active for 7+ years. ;)

What sort of problems are you having with getting the APs to work with the UVerse router? Try hard to avoid double-NAT.

I think the main problem is rust - it's been several years since I was active in network systems, and my brain and many other tools are "rusty". Apparently, I even misread the thread date-I thought it was current - sorry about that.
My long-term target is to use the 2 routers and 2 high-gain yagis to make a remote satellite guest (sub)network for a friend with a farm and a couple RV campsites on a "foreign" WAN. My starting point was just to use a single router (guest subnet) here in my U-verse home net to learn the router. I do apparently need 2 NATs to isolate the guest subnet, and I know U-verse is not friendly to this from lots of experience with a couple airport-extreme's here. That taught me that even strict bridge mode has a lot of strange behaviors. So the immediate question is whether I bite the dd-wrt bullet now or a bit more effort to make it work as it came out of the box (ralink router code, I think).
Thanks for your offer of help. I hope it extends out to this deep in the swamp.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!