High RAM memory usage AC86U

• ATTENTION! As of November 1, 2020, you are not able to reply to threads 6 months after the thread is opened if there are more than 500 posts in the thread.
    Threads will not be locked, so posts may still be edited by their authors.
    Just start a new thread on the topic to post if you get an error message when trying to reply to a thread.

macster2075

I just got a new AC86U and noticed it's using almost 70% of its RAM memory on a fresh installation and even after resetting to factory settings.
Is this normal?

I ask because my older AC68P router only uses about 23-25% of its RAM on a fresh installation.
Im just looking at the numbers because I thought I would be able to run more scripts on the new router due to it having more memory...but now that I see how much is left to use, I see I have less available than my older router... does that mean the older router will be able to run more scripts that the new router?

I don't have any scripts in mind per say.. Im just asking numbers wise. It's just interesting to me that they promote this AC86U as having 512 MB...but they don't tell you that the router itself uses almost 75% of its memory, leaving you very little to actually use... and you basically end up having almost the same amount you had with the older router.

Am I looking at this the wrong way?

L&LD

Part of the Furniture
Please search, threads on the exact topic abound. :)

Short answer. Don't worry about it unless your router is actually crashing from low RAM reserves.

macster2075

Please search, threads on the exact topic abound. :)

Short answer. Don't worry about it unless your router is actually crashing from low RAM reserves.
I did search, but could not get an answer to my question... Yes, I found others saying "don't worry about the memory unless you are experiencing problems".. but this does not answer the question though.
I am looking at it as a consumer that's upgrading the product to a more memory capacity item, then realizes the upgrade actually has less memory available than the item they upgraded from.

Mr. Boniato

New Around Here
I have been searching for this too because I noticed the same thing. i find this interesting as well, but I see others keep saying is normal...and it could very well be, but it feels like when it comes to money you are not getting really an "upgrade" from one router to the other based on the memory... yes the AC86U is a faster router but you end up having about the same memory on both

RMerlin

Asuswrt-Merlin dev
I have been searching for this too because I noticed the same thing. i find this interesting as well, but I see others keep saying is normal...and it could very well be, but it feels like when it comes to money you are not getting really an "upgrade" from one router to the other based on the memory... yes the AC86U is a faster router but you end up having about the same memory on both

Having extra unused memory is pointless, as it will just sit there doing nothing. As long the router has enough memory to run everything it needs to run, that's the only thing that matters.

macster2075

Let's ay on my old AC68P I have about 175 MB of scripts.. just a hypothetical.. this means I won't be able to run those same scripts on the AC86U because it says I only have 150 MB left.
right?

macster2075

Having extra unused memory is pointless, as it will just sit there doing nothing. As long the router has enough memory to run everything it needs to run, that's the only thing that matters.
oh ok.. so then I am looking at this the wrong way lol.
I am just looking at the numbers... so what's the difference or where do I look to see how much actual memory I have left to work with because now that I think about it.. isn't RAM just temp memory?
Where is the actual permanent memory of the router..if it has any?

RMerlin

Asuswrt-Merlin dev
Let's ay on my old AC68P I have about 175 MB of scripts.. just a hypothetical.. this means I won't be able to run those same scripts on the AC86U because it says I only have 150 MB left.
right?

Not necessarily. It depends how much of it is active usage, and how much is just dynamic buffering/caching.

L&LD

Part of the Furniture
You're not buying this product (directly) for the memory available though. You are buying it to route.

If it isn't using the RAM, it is wasting resources. Keep reading. In those searches, people have stated exactly why it is working as it should be.

Here is a quick search for your perusal.

(1) Advanced search results | SmallNetBuilder Forums (snbforums.com)

And I'm sure not all are on topic either. ;)

And to save others the grief for the next identical post is this enough 'info' for the 'why', for you. :)

macster2075

Thanks.. I am aware there lots of them... my question was not much of a concern with regards to "is there something wrong with the router"... just as an observation as to the high usage when compared to other routers I've used in the past... because the way I look at it is.. ok, so more RAM, more things I can run now that I have double the ram I had with the old router.

Not sure if you understand my point.
But, it is what it is.