What's new

High RAM on ASUS RT-AC88U Router?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BENBOBBY

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

Ive noticed the RAM usage on my Asus AC88U router is very high, sometimes up to 90%+ as shown in the attached screenshot:

QuHtUma.jpg

What could be causing this? I do have a fair number of devices on my home network; 5 computers, 1 laptop, 5 mobile phones, 2 smart televisions and 1 Alexa as well as a external drive connected to the USB. Although not all usually connected simultaneously.

Is it safe to be this high for long periods? Ive noticed it does get quite warm (I was thinking of maybe getting a small USB powered fan to help keep it cool).

Would appreciate some advice, thanks.

Hi,

Ive noticed the RAM usage on my Asus AC88U router is very high, sometimes up to 90%+ as shown in the attached screenshot:

QuHtUma.jpg

What could be causing this? I do have a fair number of devices on my home network; 5 computers, 1 laptop, 5 mobile phones, 2 smart televisions and 1 Alexa as well as a external drive connected to the USB. Although not all usually connected simultaneously.

Is it safe to be this high for long periods? Ive noticed it does get quite warm (I was thinking of maybe getting a small USB powered fan to help keep it cool).

Would appreciate some advice, thanks.
If your experience level is above novice, I would encourage you to look into configuring a swap file/partition in case you are legitimately using all the RAM.

If no RAM is available, you can certainly expect instability for different services of the router.

as well as a external drive connected to the USB

That's why, USB content uses available RAM for buffering. This is normal.