What's new

Highly reliable replacement for WRT54G

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

foosion

Occasional Visitor
Over a decade ago I got my parents a Linksys WRT54G (or maybe GL). It has worked continuously since then, but appears to have died today. The only current use is to connect some Wyze security cameras at 2.4ghz. to the internet. The router would be connected over a wired connection to a cable modem. We need something that is very easy to set up, preferably over wifi as they no longer have a computer, and will keep working without attention for years.

What would you suggest?

Given your limited requirements I would look for an ASUS N66 as this was and still is a work horse. This is the router that made ASUS's reputation. Don't know if they are still available new so you might have to pick up a used unit. The only issue is that the firmware for this unit isn't being updated.

Second choice would be an AC68. Still being updated.

On either router you can turn off the 5 Ghz radios to save power and reduce heat.

Reactions: Gar
Yeah...an AC68 is a good, cheap, safe choice. Ebay if you want it really cheap, about $50.

Yes, those are the models the other guys are referring to.

RT-AC68U or RT-AC66U_B1.

The consensus seems to be the RT-AC68U (or the seemingly identical RT-AC66U_B1). An advantage is it can be setup with the Asus app.

I hope it will be as reliable as the Linksys WRT54G[L].

Don't get a N66u they are old and outdated N tech. Firmware support has all but ended its not worth it

Yes but all he needs is the 2.4 Ghz radio. N is more than enough. AC is only an advantage if you are using more modern devices.

The RT-AC68U and the more modern varients (like the _B1) are ancient technologies today. Earlier models are worse when needed for routing duties.

Entry level starts at the RT-AX58U. If another decade of use is seriously considered.

Ancient is fine, so long as it's reliable. For their needs, being able to plug something in, have working 2.4 Ghz connectivity and not having to think about it for many years would be ideal.

I'm amazed the WRT54G[L] lasted more than ten years without anyone touching it after initial setup.

The RT-AC68U and the more modern varients (like the _B1) are ancient technologies today. Earlier models are worse when needed for routing duties.

Entry level starts at the RT-AX58U. If another decade of use is seriously considered.
The reason I suggested the N66 or AC68 is they are proven reliable and given the OP's minimal requirements to only run a few security cameras on 2.4 Ghz a radio no need for a super router. I still have some 54Gs that I keep in the closet and can use as a media bridge. Also have another 54G that I use as a switch only. I use an AC86 now as my primary router and it is good but IMHO it has never been as stable as my N66. I also have an AC68 that is was used first as a router and currently as an AP. Seven years of service and it is rock solid and comparable in reliability to the 54Gs that I first used as a router in the 90s.

The OP will need to decide if he wants a router that has a proven track record or something that is future proof.

you might try replacing the wall wart power supply on the existing unit. That is what usually fails unless there are other indications.

The lights light up on the WRT54GL, so it's not the power supply. Unfortunately, the lights are the ones that show four wired connections when in fact there are no wired connections.

Have you tried resetting it?

Maybe the configuration just got wiped/corrupted.

Have you tried resetting it?

Maybe the configuration just got wiped/corrupted.
That is quite possible. The problem is that it's my parent's router and they are far away, don't have a computer and don't have the ability to do any setup. I can get someone to go there and walk through the AC68U setup with the Asus app, but re-configuring the router is beyond that person's capacity.

The problem is that it's my parent's router and they are far away

Buy the router today, configure it with the same SSIDs, set DDNS for the app remote access or VPN server (whatever is easier for you), express mail it to your parents. When they receive it, tell them over the phone how to connect it. If something is wrong, you can fix it remotely now.

Buy the router today, configure it with the same SSIDs, set DDNS for the app remote access or VPN server (whatever is easier for you), express mail it to your parents. When they receive it, tell them over the phone how to connect it. If something is wrong, you can fix it remotely now.

Which router? If you mean the Asus, I can get someone to configure it using the app, which seems very simple and straightforward. I'd have them set it up with the old SSID and password.

I've been thinking about remote access, but wonder if it's safe. For example, https://lifehacker.com/you-need-to-lock-down-your-routers-remote-management-op-1842525275 although given what they'd have connected, remote access would be less of problem than the typical case. What's the view on this?

Level of security depends on how the remote access is done. What's your knowledge level around routers?
I'm generally good with tech and have been using routers for years, including with dd-wrt and asus-wrt merlin, but I don't have any experience with router security beyond the basics.