What's new

Hints to get VPN working again

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mike-48

Occasional Visitor
I am a home user struggling with a couple of issues.

The first is understanding what I have available. Am I correct that the VPN available in my ASUS RT-AX86U router (and other routers, for that matter) is to protect WiFi communication between it and clients in my own LAN? and that it does not provide privacy outside the LAN?

Second, I have used an OpenVPN server provided by cotse.net for half a dozen years now. I use it occasionally for sensitive material and always when connecting my laptop to someone else's network. It always has worked without trouble, but recently, the VPN just won't connect. I don't know if that has to do with changing routers -- that I may have overlooked some configuration needed to allow a VPN client on my Windows PC to communicate to the outside world.

Typical error message (IP address redacted):
2021-12-19 13:29:12 TCP: connect to [AF_INET]23.xxx.xx.xx:993 failed: Unknown error

I have tried changing ports and protocols (UDP to TCP) in the OpenVPN client configuration file. No luck. I even disabled the firewall on the router for 30 sec while I tried again. Still no connection.

Is indeed some router configuration needed to connect to a VPN service? Or something I need to do with Windows' own firewall?

Having done searches without finding anything relevant and comprehensible, I am thinking the simplest way to troubleshoot this might be to subscribe to a service like Mullvad or Nord, possibly for a short time, to see if they work or have more tech support available than cotse (who don't charge much but have not answered my query).

Thanks for any hints!

UPDATE: I signed up for ProtonVPN, and it worked right out of the box. This leads me to think that perhaps the issue is with cotse.net.

The VPN only protects your data from the point it enters the OpenVPN client until it exits the OpenVPN server. Prior to entering the OpenVPN client, or existing the OpenVPN server, your data is fair game.

For an OpenVPN client running on Windows, there's usually nothing special required of the router. Most routers allow all outbound connections and related replies by default.

Could be many reasons for the OpenVPN connection to fail. It might be as simple as that particular server being unavailable for some reason, perhaps due to being overloaded, down for maintenance, or even moved. Make sure you try other servers, and not just other protocols.

Have you tried contacting cotse.net support yet?

@L&LD - Yes, I emailed cotse. They usually take a few days to respond, but this seems longer than usual.

After trying Proton VPN's free service for an hour, I signed up for their "Plus" plan in their 50% off sale today. It is easy, relatively inexpensive, and WireGuard has minimal hit on my data speeds. It's worth the few extra dollars not to be f$(%*ing around with yet another tweaky computer thing.

P.S. I am loving the new RT-AX86U. Thanks for the recommendation!

Last edited: