What's new

HOA Mission impossible

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dpearceTT

New Around Here
I am the "comms chair" on an HOA board. The HOA is in a remote area which has no cell phone access. ISP is via DSL. The property is on a small lake about a mile long (see fishhawklake.com for details) , with dense woodland once you get any distance at all from the lake (on the access roads for example ) I have been asked (as though it's trivial):

"Can we add 2 or 3 more transmitters around the lake so our maintenance engineer is continuously in Wi-Fi range? My plan is to get him a tablet so he can take pic’s, video and always be connected/reached by email. We really need this as the busy season approaches."

I'm a software tester by profession, but I'm not very knowledgable about wireless networks beyond setting up one at home. My gut feeling is this would be non-trivial and due to tree density would not be doable at all beyond the margins of the lake. Any and all suggestions as to feasibility and equipment would be most welcome

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

While you can do what you are suggesting it will be a project?

You will need to install multiple repeaters. Will you have AC power at the tower sites or will you be willing to use solar and deep cycle batteries.

Honestly if you have cell service at the lake buy a tablet with 3G/4G modem built in and sign up for a reasonable data plan for the device.

A network like your board is considering will be a pain to set up and maintain. Even with SOHO equipment you might end up spending $800 - $1000 for WiFi repeaters and since they are mounted outside figure they would need replacing every two - three years.

Hi CaptainSTX, Thanks for your reply. What you're saying is pretty much what I thought. Unfortunately we don't have cell phone service at the lake as that would be by far the easiest solution. My personal opinion is this would be more trouble than it's worth. They did install a repeater (before my time) bit it was useless and is out of commission now

A possible solution that might solve two problems at the same time.

Look at the possibility of installing one or more AT&T microcells at one or more locations in your area. They require an Internet connection, AC power and a view of the Sky so the built in GPS can determine the location of the MicroCell.

Each MicroCell would provide both cell and data service within 100' feet of its location. Each Microcell can be programmed to provide service to 15 pre designated numbers.

This would not give you seamless connectivity, but provide hotpots where residents could connect their cell phones, make calls and check their e-mail. Your maintenance person could send and receive pictures, but with a slow DSL sending and receiving pictures would be tedious.

a novel idea that I'd not heard of..definitely a thought, thanks

For the AT&T Microcell thing to work for you, I think that you need to be in an "AT&T wireless authorized service area". It doesn't sound like you're in an area that would qualify, just something to check into *smile*.

I was looking at these the other day, since if we switch to AT&T wireless, we would need this. We already have a Verizon Network Extender, but I'm pretty tired of Verizon. On the other hand, not sure that AT&T is any more customer oriented *smile*.

What is your current method for communicating with your maintenance engineer? By radio? Why would the maintenance engineer need to send you photos and videos immediately? Couldn't they just upload pictures and video at night over their DSL. Imo, if you have a maintenance engineer that needs such close supervision and micromanagement, it might be time to get a new maintenance engineer.

@RogerSC..I was surprised to find that we are in an AT&T Service area...given that we don't get AT&T or any other cell service out there (you can get at& about 5 miles away).
@jlake....personally I don't feel we need to do this, but that's HOA boards for you :)

Yeah, I agree, you could talk via walkie-talkie *smile* or not, and pictures can be kept on a phone or tablet until they can be uploaded and shared...Makes a lot more sense to me. Less of a project to set up, and less maintenance to keep working. This sounds like the kind of thing where you set it up, it works for a while, and at some point it stops working and nobody fixes it (like the current abandoned repeater, which you can point at to illustrate the futility of it *smile*).

This must be difficult, sounds like the kind of thing that gets people to resign from HOA boards *smile*.

If you use hand held radios that that operate on the 2 meter band you can get the coverage you need. However the operators will need to be licensed HAM operators.

You can buy some nice hand held five watt radios made in China for $35 - $45. Since you don't have to pass the Morse code test anymore getting a Technician's license isn't as difficult as it once was.

If you are willing to spend several hundred dollars you can buy handheld radios with a digital interface where you could actually connect a computer to the radio and send data by connecting to an Internet relay . This is the way sailors connect to the Internet when cruising. Not practical in your case but anything is possible.

If you use hand held radios that that operate on the 2 meter band you can get the coverage you need. However the operators will need to be licensed HAM operators.

You can buy some nice hand held five watt radios made in China for $35 - $45. Since you don't have to pass the Morse code test anymore getting a Technician's license isn't as difficult as it once was.

If you are willing to spend several hundred dollars you can buy handheld radios with a digital interface where you could actually connect a computer to the radio and send data by connecting to an Internet relay . This is the way sailors connect to the Internet when cruising. Not practical in your case but anything is possible.

Actually probably more practical than the Wifi route.

If it was just coverage lake side, that wouldn't be too difficult. 3-5 APs with wireless bridges connecting them very well might cover lake side (with good sized antennas on the APs). Away from the lake in to the dense woods...that is going to be a LOT of access points to string up. If it is really coverage along the roads that you are looking at, depending on terrain, forest density, etc, you might be looking at having to drop an AP every 200-400ft along the road for coverage and a wireless bridge to the next cluster (I am assuming that the road twists and turns through the woods instead of mostly having LoS).

So equipment-wise, you'd be looking at solar panels, charge controller and batteries to cover the electrical requirements of one access point and two bridges (one bridge to connect to the previous cluster, one to connect to the next cluster). That's going to be expensive FAST. At a guess, $500 per location at a minimum for outdoor rated (non-enterprise) gear and enclosures for everything.

You'd need to test everything setting it up to determine ideal locations and how many you'd need...but I'd assume a lot to get Wifi coverage along those roads. Also dense forest to me says solar isn't going to work well...which means a lot more solar, or running power to each location (which would solve the wireless bridge bit though, since if you are running power, you can also run data).

I'd tell the board it isn't feasible. Or if they insist, go the HAM route with data uplinks to the radios. I haven't looked at that much in ages, but I assume you'd be looking at no better than dial up speeds, if that.

I am the "comms chair" on an HOA board. The HOA is in a remote area which has no cell phone access. ISP is via DSL. The property is on a small lake about a mile long (see fishhawklake.com for details) , with dense woodland once you get any distance at all from the lake (on the access roads for example ) I have been asked (as though it's trivial):

Took a look at a couple of proprietary coverage tools - about half of Fishhawk Lake area is covered by Verizon Wireless - there's a coverage hole on the east end, so perhaps dropping in a microcell would fill the bill there for Cellular coverage.

Convincing them would mean dealing with their RF folks, and building a good business case.

Not sure about AT&T/T-Mobile's coverage there - doesn't look like Sprint covers the lake, their coverage drops off just to the west.

sfx

Attachments

• fishhawk.png
    fishhawk.png
    65.7 KB · Views: 270
Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!