What's new

Home LAN equipment advice needed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

A little added latency, possible congestion on the link between the two.
Latency might create some issue with voip applications but there are others here that know that can comment on that side better.

Since some have asked, this is now up and running and delivering solid performance.
I think I will need another AP but that’s easily solved.

For some reason I can’t understand, I got an 8 port switch (despite clearly knowing as above that I needed at least 10!).

can anyone tell me if I would degrade performance by getting a second 8 port switch and daisy chaining them as opposed to getting a single 16 port switch. Strong argument against 16 port switch is it won’t fit in my 10in data cabinet
The Hue bridges are 100Mbps so they will not notice the shared bandwidth; latency increase is minimal for this use. The Apple TV HD is also 100Mbps; the 4K version is GbE but it can probably share the bandwidth with a couple more Apple TVs.
Another option is to look for 16 port switches that fit in a 10" cabinet (they exist)

A little added latency, possible congestion on the link between the two.
Latency might create some issue with voip applications but there are others here that know that can comment on that side better.
I guess that, as long as APs are connected to the "first" switch then the latency caused to VOIP applications will be minimised (assuming they will connect via Wifi)?