What's new

Home Mesh with per device bandwidth throttling?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

shlide

New Around Here
I'm looking to setup a home mesh with per device throttling not just "pick a priority device" I had 2 older Google Wifi units and that just let me set time schedules and a single device with priority. After reading reviews (not here unfortunately) I picked up a 2-pack of the Asus AX92U units and got it setup pretty easily. However, I'm getting WAN drops with the "Your ISP's DHCP is not functioning properly" error. I have Comcast Home internet (just the 100/5 service). I had picked up the AX92U units for the dedicated wireless backhaul as it would be a pain to wire a backhaul in this house (router in basement and node on floor 1/5 [shelf by the stairs between ground floor and second floor]). I haven't had signal issues between the two nodes as there is really only one carpeted floor between them. I don't think I can go with a single router as there's not a central cable line in the house.

I've had nothing but strange issues with the AX92U so far. There's the DHCP issue that just seems random (I've tried the Aggressive / Normal / Continuous DHCP settings) and I've had issues with my Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra on the Wi-Fi. It's the phone that has the Asus Admin app on it, but at one point it was allowed on the network, but not allowed to access the internet (the "block" setting was not turned on). As strange as it seems, I got my phone accessing the internet again by setting the bandwidth limit on my daughter's laptop (to 10 down / 1 up).

Which brings me to the reason for wanting per device bandwidth limiting is to keep the kids laptops from hogging things while the wife and I work from home on occasion. They'll run 2 or 3 YouTube videos simultaneously at max res while playing games online - they can get by on a smaller pipe :)

I'm open to other ways to keep the kids limited and the parent's work machines in the fast lane if there's a better way. Any and all guidance is welcome.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!