What's new

Home network advice?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

newbster

New Around Here
Gents,

I have not been much attention to home wireless routers until yesterday when I installed new TV. So now that I have my Panasonic p65vt25 TV and bdt 100 blueray player setup they both want an internet connection. I'm also looking to build and install a network server and second Tivo to go with these.

Currently, I have Netgear wpn 824 which is hardwired to my main machine, printer and Series 3 Tivo. The Tivo and main machine share storage and stream via pytivo. These are all located in the main bedroom. The new stuff is in the living room which is on the same level but about 40 feet away. I'm not wild about running cat 6 cable through the walls and ceiling to get these connected so I'm looking at a wireless solution. What should I be thinking of?

My suggestion: don't attempt HD TV on WiFi, even 11n at its best.

Instead, go cat5/6 or, as I didm, go MoCA, assuming there's a TV cable coax at the TVs and another coax near where there's a cat5 port to connect to the network. I considered D-Link, Netgear and Motorola's MoCA. On an impulse against my better judgement, I bought D-Link's MoCA. Ah, worked fine. Plug and play. Layer 2, so no config. Auto-chooses unused frequency on the cable.
Plug and play and forget. I had too many outages/hassles doing even standard def. IP TV on WiFi (SageTV).

I agree with stevech to pull the coax. But I'd also try HomePlug AV powerline before futzing with wireless.

I just ordered:
POWERLINE KIT NETG|XAVB1004-100NAS

I'll find out soon how well it works. Thanks for the pointer!