What's new

Home network plan ac53 lacp

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Elvis7

Occasional Visitor
Howdy, Ive recently moved into my new place and really wanted to buy the upcoming Rapture GT- Ax11000, but I ended up settling for the gt-ac5300 for a steal of 280$ cad on black Friday.

I have it placed in the center of the main floor. In preparation of finishing my basement, I've wired a cat8 cable from the ac53 through the central vac pipes (we don't have CV and dont need it) to the center of my basement, above the future wall where my tv/xbox one x etc will be. At the same time, I wired a cat6 cable from the same spot that span a a cross the half finished ceiling to a room with im currently wireing cctv dvr of 12 4k cameras that ill be able to access via mobile apps.

My plan was to connect the cat from router to an unmanaged switch, and connect all my devices to that switch. However, the connected speed will remain 1gbps, and having the cctv system on the same line as my Xbox may cause bandwidth influx.

My new plan :
A- wire a second cat8 that will connect directly to my Xbox one x, and the first cat8 will connect to the switch in the ceiling and connect all other devices.

Or

B-wire a second cat8 to the same point, use an lacp unmanaged switch and connect all devices from there, also enabling link aggregation on the ac53, I believe port 5/6.

Yes, I am aware that my network will slow down to cat6, regardless of my cat8, I simy wanted to future proof my wiring now, and at 30$cad for 20 feet of cat8 (black Friday deal) why not.

What do you think, which option is best and what lacp supporting unmanaged switches are best. I may Eventually buy another ac53, and replace the switch with it in the basement, just because.

Thank you.

A single Cat8 to the basement should suffice. However, the 12-4k CCTV cameras should only be connected to the CCTV DVR. The CCTV DVR should then be connected to the ASUS. Your mobile app for the CCTV DVR should permit viewing one CCTV camera at 4k with simultaneous CCTV cameras as a single 4k image.
tv/xbox one x etc
What bothers me is the "etc". How many of what kind of devices are you talking about?

Additionally, while you are viewing your 12 CCTV images, playing your X-Box One, and streaming UHD video, what other devices in your home are using the network at the same time. My concern is aggregate throughput through the ASUS.

The only way to confirm my analysis is in a lab environment or your home.

Basement :
Xbox x (Rj45 cat 8 to ac53)
Samsung tv (5.0)
Onkyo 7.1 amp (5.0)
Desktop (Rj45 cat6 or 6a have to decide, to switch)
Printer (2.4)
Cctv (Rj45 cat 6 to switch)
Harmony hub (2.4)
Smoke detector (2.4)
Smart speaker(2.4)
7 philips hue bulbs and hub (not yet acquired)

First floor:
Smoke detector (2.4)
Thermostat (2.4)
Doorbell (2.4)
Smart speaker(2.4)
Samsung tv (5.0)
Smart outdoor switch (2.4)
Lutron caseta hub 16 light switches (Rj45)

Upstairs:
Smart speaker (2.4)
Baby monitor

Driveway:
Vehicle dashcam(2.4)
Garage door(2.4)

As well as 3 cellphones, 1 tablet, 1 laptop.

The used bands is a guess for the lot/smart devices, some hop in-between and I haven't customized the ac53s ai yet for device allocation.

There are a lot of devices on the 2.4GHZ with varying bandwidth requirements but you won't know if that's a real issue until it's all setup. I would definitely do a phased installation plan with at least 24 hour test period after each phase to make certain that everything works to your expectations.

Consider, if there is a capacity issue, creating two IP networks. One that is in house only, and no internet requirements; baby monitor, speakers, harmony hub,...

Realize that because you are dealing with so many different products that they may not play well with others.

Understood.

All the smart devices interact well with each other and access the net.
Ex. Speaker (Google home)
Smoke detectors (let me know if there's a fire or just the wife cooking). Harmony hub used via the remote but also thought lot devices (hey Google play Xbox in the basement) or via my phone when the wife can't get things working and I'm not home lol .

I may just swap all the cat 6 for 6a,although I do have 3 bundles of cat6. I'll set things up as option A and test. As for the wifi loads, the Ai should moving devices on its own based on network connectivity /demand

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!