What's new

Home network setup

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

LouieNi

New Around Here
Hey folks,

just wanna get everyone’s advice on a small network I’m thinking of setting up.

Based in the UK and currently renovating an old house and the ceilings are down. The walls are solid brick and the Wi-Fi inside the house was poor before. I’m thinking while I have free access to run Ethernet cable it’s worth doing.

Plan is as follows -

Ethernet running from each room that needs it to a tp switch which is connected to the ISP provided router/modem. I’m thinking I should turn off the wireless function on the ISP router. Then using Poe injectors on two of the Ethernet lines from the switch that runs to two access points on the roof in one room upstairs and one downstairs.

would there be any issues with this I haven’t thought about ?
Thanks

Lewis

Sounds like a decent plan. I would probably wire as much as possible while you have access to do so. Run dual drops Incase one flakes out you just have to switch cables at the wall and switch.

I would go with APs that are more smb level though and 4x4 like the Zyxel NWA210AX or whatever current model they're selling locally.

Poe injectors are great when you don't need a ton of ports. Especially if you want higher then gig speeds. I use one that's 10ge on my 2.5ge AP port and get 1.5gbps out of WiFi with an AX411 card.

Depending on the size of your place you might need more than 2 APs though which is where the cabling recommendation comes in. My AP covers 1300sq ft corner to corner but with drywall walls.

is it only the exterior walls that are brick (double wythe i assume) or are the rooms delineated by brick walls ?
If the latter, you may need 1 AP per room, probably only 5/6 GHz bands and variable power.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!