What's new

Home Network Topology Question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rstark18

Occasional Visitor
I have 1 router (Asus RT-N66U) but I have more Ethernet drops than ports. So I have two Netgear GS105 switches. Each GS105 goes into ports 1 & 2 on the N66U. I then have a bunch of other wired devices (Desktop PC, NAS, PS3, PS4, DVR, OOMA VOIP, etc.)
My basic question is should I be concerned which devices are connected to the N66U rather than the GS105 switches? Will it matter at all if NAS is on the switch rather than the router? BTW my concern is about speed and network efficiency.
I assume it doesn't matter but just wanted to make sure.

I have 1 router (Asus RT-N66U) but I have more Ethernet drops than ports. So I have two Netgear GS105 switches. Each GS105 goes into ports 1 & 2 on the N66U. I then have a bunch of other wired devices (Desktop PC, NAS, PS3, PS4, DVR, OOMA VOIP, etc.)
My basic question is should I be concerned which devices are connected to the N66U rather than the GS105 switches? Will it matter at all if NAS is on the switch rather than the router? BTW my concern is about speed and network efficiency.

If possible you should have devices that need to communicate to each other at the highest speed with the least contention connected using the same switch and that includes the switch/LAN ports on the router. I would think that that you would want to have the PC and the NAS on the same switch if you are backing up the PC to the NAS. I would also try to hook the PS3 - PS4 to the LAN ports on the router to minimize latency if you are gaming over the WWW.

To some extent however it the links between the switches and the router are gigabyte capable we are debating how many angels can dance on the head of a pin

for best practice i would connect NAS to the router and connect everything else behind the switches , this way you have the full speed of the nas available to ether switch and or connected devices

this is more important when the router has link bonding and so does the NAS , eg i have the netgear r8500 and a synology ds 415+ and i have the synology connected by 2 ethernet cables to the dedicated bonded ports on the r8500 and have the synology set to LACP-IEEE 802.3ad which then give the nas a 2000M backbone

pete

Thanks for the replies.
I've decided to have the two switches and the NAS on the router everything else is on the switches.