What's new

home network upgrade suggestions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kitkat12012

New Around Here
I'm planning on upgrading my home network and I was wondering if you guys can give me some ideas.

Goals:
My goal for this upgrade is to get better network coverage (wired, powerline, or wireless) and a fairly fast and stable throughput.

Current setup:
I have a WRT54GL with the Tomato firmware, 1 wired client, and a couple of wireless clients. We have DSL so the router is placed in the only room with a phone jack which is located on one end of the house (let's call this the North Side). The house has two floors. Distance between North and South sides is about 3 average sized rooms (sorry I'm not good with distance estimation). Wireless coverage between floors is not a problem. Wireless coverage from East to West is also not a problem.

Current problems:
Wireless on the opposite side of the house is unstable (let's call this the South Side). My room is located in this far end. My PS3 cannot hold a connection for more than an hour without dropping. PC in this same room is fine, although this PC has a fairly new wireless adapter. Ipod touch in this same room cannot get a wireless signal at all.

Initial thoughts:
I'm thinking of getting a new wireless router, probably a wireless N with gigabit. I've read in one of the SNB articles that it might be best to keep my old wireless G router so I can get a dedicated wireless N and a separate wireless G AP. I also want to increase the coverage to the south side of the house so I'm planning on placing wireless G as close to the center of the house as possible, although I'm not sure about how I can get wireless G to link with wireless N. Running wires is not an option. I can probably use WDS. I also tried a zyxel powerline before with one node in the north side and the other node in the south side. This failed badly. It was working very well the first month. After that, the nodes can no longer link to each other.

Questions:
- What other options do I have besides my initial plan?
- If I use a dedicated wireless G and a dedicated wireless N, does it make sense to get a dual band wireless N or would that be meaningless? Any other advantages with getting a dual band?
- What are my options for linking wireless G and wireless N besides WDS and powerline?
- If I wire both routers, what's the minimum distance between them that wouldn't create any interference? I can probably run a wire between both router but I won't be able to place them in separate rooms.
- Any suggested brands/models for a wireless N router or a reliable powerline?

Sorry for the wall of text. Hope you guys can shed some light. Thanks