What's new

Home Network - Wifi Adapter Inquiry

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Negativefx83

New Around Here
Hello!

I currently upgraded my cable speeds from 60mb/s to 100mb/s. I currently have a
MOTOROLA 16x4 Cable Modem, Model MB7420, 686 Mbps DOCSIS 3.0 along with an Asus RT-AC88U router. I am looking now to upgrade my wifi adapter and I was wondering what AC1900 adapters (I assume this is what I would be looking for?) would be the best for gaming / streaming with this combination?

I was looking between the
Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 Wi-Fi USB Adapter (A7000-10000S) or the
ASUS USB-AC68 Dual-Band AC1900 USB 3.0 Wi-Fi Adapter.

I am open to suggestions of course!

Thank you for any help in advance!

You don't say if its for a laptop PC or a desktop PC, if the latter then I would forget about a USB and instead go for a PCI wifi card such as the Asus PCE-AC88. Its a 4x4 wifi card and a perfect match for your RT-AC88U (4x4 stream router).

Update on this, so my mobo is Asus H87I-PLUS and appears to only have one pcie slot which is taken up by my video card. Is there anything comparable (or just as good) using a usb wifi adapter that would suite the same needs? There are so many choices, I'm just looking to see what would be optimal. I was also reading about powerline adapters? I do not know anything about them but I saw a few reddit posts about them.(https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06WP2ZT5N/?tag=snbforums-20)

Thanks!

Last edited:
Ok, its a shame you cannot use the Asus PCE-88 wifi card as that card is easily the best wifi card at the moment. IMHO Powerline adaptors are hit & miss, they may work very well for you or may not depending on your power circuit - they're very sensitive to noise. Otherwise a USB wifi adaptor such as this should do the trick:

https://tinyurl.com/y84a3lxd

Update on this, so my mobo is Asus H87I-PLUS and appears to only have one pcie slot which is taken up by my video card. Is there anything comparable (or just as good) using a usb wifi adapter that would suite the same needs? There are so many choices, I'm just looking to see what would be optimal. I was also reading about powerline adapters? I do not know anything about them but I saw a few reddit posts about them.(https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06WP2ZT5N/?tag=snbforums-20)

Thanks!
Powerline adapters are unpredictable and rarely sustain speeds anywhere near what they claim.

Optimal at any cost? Buy another four-stream ASUS router with NitroQAM and configure it as a wireless bridge. The RT-AC68U might be the cheapest of these options.

The easiest and lowest cost would be a USB adapter but there are no four-stream options.

You don't say if its for a laptop PC or a desktop PC, if the latter then I would forget about a USB and instead go for a PCI wifi card such as the Asus PCE-AC88. Its a 4x4 wifi card and a perfect match for your RT-AC88U (4x4 stream router).

There's a lot of pro's for a USB adapter - one can move it around from Machine to Machine...

The PCIe adapters do well - but at the same time, have issues with RF interference inside the PC itself, and poor location of antennas for the most part...

Yes of course a USB adapter is portable. However for a desktop pc, pci is definitely the way to go as usb adaptors don’t perform as well as pci models and let’s not find forget the only high end Wi-fi adaptor (4x4 stream) is a pci version. The Asus PCI-AC88 comes with an external antenna mount and should really be used in order to get the high link rates. I get close to 2.1 Gb/s by using the external antennas versus 1 Gb/s by plugging the antennas direct to the PCE-88 card.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!