What's new

Home office network component critique wanted:

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MisterS

New Around Here
I'm setting up my home office network and would be grateful if you were able to critique the setup that I'm considering.

Usage:
3D graphics rendering - could be continuously rendering for a day or two at a time. So I'd imagine it could be quite demanding on the network (I'm no IT expert though)
Compositing
Photo editing
Typical home use.

Computers:
1 wired desktop windows Workstation
2 almost identical wired windows machines for use as render slaves.
1 wireless laptop - but can wire if rendering
Readynas 314 - currently acting as a server for all data. Not figured out Ethernet teaming modes yet.
Inbeleive thag they're all capable of 1Gb/s data transfer.
Wireless MacBook Air
Several other wifi devices iPhones, printer etc.

Proposed network

- Will keep ISP ADLS modem (as my new Netgear 7800 kept dropping internet despite many support calls)
- Ubiquiti edgerouter lite
- Ubiquity tough switch 5 port (24v POE) note: I would have preferred an 8 port at that price but the WAP needs 24v which isn't standard. <---edit - I think I need to spend a bit extra and get the 8 port toughswitch or an alternitive one or buy a simple Netgear GS108 for Eth2 on the router...
- Ubiquity unifi AP AC pro WAP 24v POE
- I have an old slow switch that I could utilize if I need or I can buy another switch later.

TBH I've not done any testing on how much data is being copied on the network. Not tested the nas yet either in this environment.

Wireless speed needs to be decent but I can wire my lappy if I need all the processing power. Thought about keeping the wireless phones and non critical internet devices connected via wifi to the modem to free up the WAP.

Interested in what you think. Thanks.

Last edited:
If a lot of the rendering traffic will be between the 3 wired desktops, then a small switch with these systems connected to it make sense as they will literally and on the network be 'side-by-side'. The small switch there can uplink to the other switch which doesn't have to be handling all the render traffic and is more free for 'normal' traffic. Another benefit is that you need an additional render slave, you can just plug it in locally with the wired systems and it doesn't disrupt the rest of the network.