What's new

Home PC, connected via cat6 to switch... disconnects and connects all the time.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

gigian

New Around Here
Hello,

At home i have the following setup.

All my house has CAT5 and CAT6 installed.
On the basement i have my data room where there is a patch panel connected to all the CAT5 and CAT6 around the house and a 10/100 24 port TPLINK switch.

Yesterday i purchased an ASUS RTN66U router and connected in to my ADSL modem WAG200G (in bridge mode) got everyhing working, internet connection and wfi, and then i used one of the ports of the ASUS to connect it onto the switch in order to get internet around the house.

I then went to my pc, that is connected to the CAT6 wall plug via a CAT6 cable.... and noticed the folowing!!!

THE LAN WAS CONNECTED AT FIRST an i had internet but then IT STARTED DISCONNECTING AND CONNECTING .. every 3-5 minutes, i couldn't even log on to the router locally va 192.168.1.1 when i was disconnected.

At first i thought it was the ASUS but i connected my laptop via WIFI and it was on all the way.... without any disconections.

Then in order to check some more... i went down to the data room and bypassed the TPLINK 10/100 switch and pluged the ASUS port directly on the patch panel to the room where my PC was...

EVERYTHING WORKED FINE !!!! (No disconnections)

It seems that the SWITCH causes the problem ... is it because the ASUS is a gigabit router... but the switch is 10/100 ??? or what ?

Can someone help me on this.

Since the switch was working before, could be incompatibility causing an link auto-negotiation problem.

Mixing 10/100 and Gigabit should not cause a problem.

Since the switch was working before, could be incompatibility causing an link auto-negotiation problem.

Mixing 10/100 and Gigabit should not cause a problem.

Thank you for your reply.
So what is your suggestion ...
I was thinking in buying a gigabit ethernet switch anyway... but wha if the same thing happens there ... how can i fix this .??

Thank you.

Smart switch and set a fixed speed on the port. Not sure if the Asus can set port speeds on its LAN ports or not.

I have a router that does that sometimes too. It'll fail to auto-negotiate on one of its LAN ports and forces to 10/100. Even if I set a fixed port speed of GbE it falls back to Fast ethernet if I connect it to that one port.

You could try connecting to different ports between the switch and router and see if either of those fix the issue.

This may be a switch issue, but it could also be a router issue connecting to the switch.

You are positive it isn't a wiring issue? Using the same T-568A or T-568B for the PC to switch and router to switch wiring? Depending on what the switch can do, sure none of the wires are wired as cross over cables and wired the same on both ends (again T-568A on both ends of T-568B on both ends).

Its possible here that the PC and the router are able to detect wiring misconfiguration/cross over cable and automatically correct, but that the switch can't, though that wouldn't necessarily explain why it is connection for a time and then disconnecting.

The switch being an issue or there being a wiring issue are the only things I can think of here.

I am always skeptical of wiring first. Just because it was wired with cat6 components, it doesn't mean that the installation is up to cat6 standards. Did you wire it or was it pre-installed? Was the installation done by a company specializing in data cabling or was it done by electricians that also do data cabling? Are there any test result reports to prove it was done to cat6?

Thank you for your reply.
So what is your suggestion ...
I was thinking in buying a gigabit ethernet switch anyway... but wha if the same thing happens there ... how can i fix this .??

Thank you.

Hook the switch up using either port 1 or 2 on the Asus router rather than ports 3 or 4.

I am always skeptical of wiring first. Just because it was wired with cat6 components, it doesn't mean that the installation is up to cat6 standards. Did you wire it or was it pre-installed? Was the installation done by a company specializing in data cabling or was it done by electricians that also do data cabling? Are there any test result reports to prove it was done to cat6?

Thank you for your reply...
A skilled electrician did the wiring but i was with him at the time and we checked each cable on both ends patch panel and walls with a Lan tester and made sure that no wiring is wrong.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!