What's new

Home Streaming Network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

scmeis1

New Around Here
Hi All,
I have been using smallnetbuilder for a long long time. I am gifted when it comes to Cisco and Cisco Wireless. I design them for a living, but I am a bit outside my comfort zone when it comes to home products.

Currently I own 3 Negear gs108t-100NAS switches with a Netgear FVS336G SSL VPN router and Dlink 825 wireless router.

I have tried for days to get this lan to work. The 3 biggest things it needs to do are:

1) Stream HI-def movies to any one of my big screen Tv's. I have Intel Dual NIC's that are teamed on every HTPC I have, and the Movie Storage server.

2) I own a CCIE lab, and use it from other places, and let friends use it.

3) I have Uverse, and I run it through my Switches.

ISSUES: the Netgear switches I own now, constantly drop traffic. That is fine for the internet, I am fine with Best effort prioritizing. The TV's constantly lock up. I have tried every combo of 100/Full, 1000/full, auto/auto, DSCP, flow control, nothing has solved the TV's from freezing.

I have heard there is an issue with the latest firmware on the gs108T-100NAS switches and when VLAN's are added it causes them issues.

Ok - What I need is to upgrade the switches. The SSL VPN firewall rocks, just fantastic piece of equipment. The DLINK-825 wireless router kicks butt too. I bought after reviewing it on here.

1) I want on 12-16 port main switch
2) 4x (5-8 port) switches.
3) All must be able to handle VLAN's, and trunking (802.1q)
4) Spanning-tree (802.1d, or 802.1w) are fine.
5) SFP based is not something I would consider at the moment. The SFP's are usually more expensive then the switch.
6) Gig would be nice, but in a home LAN, you do not see the benefits of that throughput.

I wish I could use my 3550's or 3560's but they are necessary in my CCIE lab.

Thank you in advance!

Not sure if it will help or not but I recall someone on a newegg review mentioning you need to ground the GS108T switches to ensure no problems. I will say that I have a GS108T switch and in the last few months have had to reset it once or twice due to network errors. Haven't tried grounding it yet though.

00Roush

Can you try the 3550's or 3560 temporarily to see if they solve your problem?

I have a GS108T (f/w 3.0.4.10) and it has never given me a problem. I don't use any of its managed features, though.

Can you try the 3550's or 3560 temporarily to see if they solve your problem?

I have a GS108T (f/w 3.0.4.10) and it has never given me a problem. I don't use any of its managed features, though.

Honestly, that's over kill for a home network, as well as very expensive. The 6 I have are in my CCIE LAB. I actually went with dell powerconnect's. They work great, and I have not had an issue at all.

I reintroduced the gs108t, same issue. I have now found out many people have that issue when vlans are introduced. Netgear is using my wireshark sniff's to solve it. However, I will be of no use to them any more, I sold that stuff.

Thank you!