What's new

Home Wireless Router Suggestion

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Denali_Guy

New Around Here
Hey all! Looking for advice on the best wireless solution for my home. I have a 2,400 sq ft single story condo which includes a finished basement – main level is 1,300 sq ft. I currently have cable internet (65 Mbps top speed) with an Airport Extreme Base station and an Airport Express using Ethernet backhaul.

Due to my condo’s wiring my cable modem and router reside in the front of my basement on a shelf close to the ceiling. The condo layout is longer than it is wide. My bedroom and my home office are in the back part of the condo (opposite side of where the router is placed). Using the wireless in my office and bedroom I noticed periodic drops so I added a TP Link powerline adapter to hardwire my work laptop and eventually added the Airport Express to extend the wireless coverage. I sometimes work from a back patio which is further behind my home office.

The Airport has had some periodic flakiness these last few months so I am thinking it may be at the end of its life (t’s 4 years old). I am considering the Synology RT2600ac since it is compatible with Time Machine. Do you think the router alone will be adequate for wireless coverage? If not is there a different router I should be considering? Or is there a recommendation on what I should purchase for an extender/Ethernet backhaul setup that I can use with the Synology if needed? Thanks for your help.

I would try out one of the so called "mesh" systems out there like the Orbi, Velop, Google Wi-Fi, Eero, Deco M5, Asus HiveSpot or two AP like the Ubiquiti Unifi AP AC PRO / LR, one of these solutions would suit you.