What's new

Home Wireless/Wired Network Advice

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ByronOrpheus

New Around Here
Hello,

I have 2 story house with basement that has wired Cat6 all over the house (Minimum 3 RJ45 connectors per room). Currently my internet and modem are located in the basement utility room with a ASUS-N66U router connected to it, followed by a 24 port switch. Off the router directly connected to the 2nd floor bedroom is an ASUS-EA66U access point.

Recently, my wifi has been flaking out. The router and access points are 5 years old and they're starting to drop out constantly and sometimes the Access point just stops broadcasting outright unless I cycle power on it.

I've checked channels, no over lap... not a High density residential area so nothing interfering on my channels. It'll just lock up mid use for our phones/tablets.

So I'm looking for a new system, the old system had problems with WIFI above the main floor to the 2nd floor hence the access point. How it was configured was teh AP was named something different than the main floor ones which were off the router signal bouncing from the basement.

What I'm looking for is suggestion on a cost effective installation, don't really have a budget but I think 500-800 US would be more than plenty.

I'm looking for some sort of system that can seamlessly pick up WIFI from main floor to 2nd floor as well as prioritize my wired needs (Mostly streaming/gaming). It's been a good 10 years since I've even read about wifi networks and I'm seeing these mesh networks which is what I think does that effective drop/pick up seemless but haven't had the time to dedicate for research, hence why I'm asking people who do this daily and love to dabble in it.

Appreciate any feedback and thanks in advance.

Turn off the WiFi on the N66U and continue to use it as a router....assuming that part of it is still stable. Then buy 2-3 Ubiquiti UAP-AC-LITE and install those around the house. Done for less than $300.

Your house is already wired....you don't need mesh. You just need multiple APs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turn off the WiFi on the N66U and continue to use it as a router....assuming that part of it is still stable. Then buy 2-3 Ubiquiti UAP-AC-LITE and install those around the house. Done for less than $300.

Your house is already wired....you don't need mesh. You just need multiple APs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am in a very similar situation and was wondering if multiple Ubiquiti UAP-AC-LITE's (wired backhaul) could share the same SSID's and do hand-off's, etc?

After a little tuning regarding power levels, minRSSI, and Band Steering, mine works like a champ between the two UAP-AC-LR I have. Keep in mind, power levels are really the only item you "must" tune properly...the rest is optional in a home environment if you want to nitpick and like to tinker. I can walk through the house with a phone or tablet and for the most part, I have no idea which AP is servicing the device. They all mostly just work.