1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

HomeKit Smart Outlet Roundup

Discussion in 'Smart Home Article Discussions' started by thiggins, Nov 14, 2016.

1. thiggins

thiggins Mr. Easy Staff Member

[​IMG]
    Should you turn to HomeKit to control your smart outlets? We look at three products to help you decide.

Read on SmallNetBuilder

2. trek_520

trek_520 Regular Contributor

Tim - do any of these offer an autoping "watchdog" type feature?

I have an Amazon Fire TV that seems to need to be rebooted frequently - it would be nice if one of these could watch the Fire and reboot it if it drops off line.

Thanks for the great write up! It will be interesting to see this category a year from now.

3. Craig Ellison

Craig Ellison Occasional Visitor

Hello

That's an interesting idea, but no. None of the devices have an auto ping watchdog feature. That would be a differentiating feature that I would have discussed and called out in the At A Glance summaries.

Yes, there finally seem to be more product introductions. And with more digital home assistants hitting the market that bridge the gap between vendors, more consumers will find the market segment more compelling. I currently control 8 Smart Home devices using Amazon Echo.

4. Paualsh112

Paualsh112 New Around Here

anyone know how scheduling works with these devices? For example if I want the iDevices switch to turn on my yard lights everyday at sunset what device remembers the schedule? Can HomeKit on Apple TV bridge act as a scheduler? One would not want to depend on a iPhone/Pad app to be available 24 x 7 to runs lights and things AND if one is traveling away from the house, it would be crazy to think the iPhone app could reliably connect back to the home to turn on the lights. Any one know? thanks.

5. Craig Ellison

Craig Ellison Occasional Visitor

Hello -
    It's my understanding that you need either a dedicated iPad enabled to act as a bridge or an Apple TV in order to schedule events. The Apple TV is also a bridge that can be used in place of having a dedicated iPad left behind at home. However, I don't have an Apple TV, so I was unable to test that feature.

Here's a link to an Apple support article that discusses this:
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207057

The requirements are explicit. You need either
    It doesn't say anything about using an iPhone.

Hope this helps.

-craig-