What's new

Homeplug buying advice: Aztech with Gigle GGL541 or Intellon INT6400 + INT1400?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Cicero

New Around Here
First of all, thanks for all the excellent information and advice on this website. If I'd found it sooner it would have saved me a lot of time and frustration!

I've come to the point where I've realized I need a homeplug network as wireless simply won't work well in my situation. As I live in Singapore my purchase options are a bit different than in the US, and the market here is dominated by local producer Aztech.

The choice comes down to either the HL280E with the Gigle GGL541 chipset, or the HL110EP with the Intellon INT6400 + INT1400. Since Aztech seems to be unknown in the US, I've tracked down products using similar chipsets, and I've read your review of the Belkin Gigabit homeplug from 2009, but it highlighted some serious problems with the Gigle-based adapters. (It looks like Belkin has even discontinued the range (?))

For the Intellon/Atheros chipset, your roundup of AV adapters from last year shows some variations in throughput but no serious problems.

It seems the chipset is more dominant than the consumer-facing manufacturer, so my thinking is to go with the cheaper HL110EP 200 Mb AV version. Does this make sense?

I have no need for HD streaming (yet), but on general principles I want the fastest throughput possible. I haven't found any AFCI breakers here, so hopefully that won't be a problem.

Any further thought, comments or criticism?

Many thanks!