What's new

Homeplug development stopped ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

smagro

Occasional Visitor
Is it correct to state that Homeplug development stopped in 2016 ? Meaning the 2000Mbps products released in 2016 (eg TP-Link PA9020) are effectively the last generation of Homeplug, there will be nothing newer or better in the future ?

(from wiki)
"On 18 October 2016, the HomePlug Alliance announced that all of its specifications would be put into the public domain and that other organizations would be taking on future activities relating to deployment of the existing technologies.[1] There was no mention in the announcement of any further technology development within the HomePlug community."

I am not aware of any decision, but would not be surprised.

Is it correct to state that Homeplug development stopped in 2016 ? Meaning the 2000Mbps products released in 2016 (eg TP-Link PA9020) are effectively the last generation of Homeplug, there will be nothing newer or better in the future ?

The upstream spec is pretty much done, nothing else to deliver. Standards folks move on to other projects.

Doesn't mean HomePlug is dead by any means. There's still some headroom and latitude for integration, but that's dependent on the major chipset providers - for the most part Qualcomm-Atheros and Broadcom.

My CPE/chipset vendor employees (in marketing and engineering) tell me that Qualcomm/Broadcom have moved on to WIFI as the only real viable home networking technology.

The G.Hn group is still putting out new technology-the Wave 2 commercial products were released around the end of last year. I do agree that with WiFi so fast, there's less demand.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!