What's new

HomePlug

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Copper

New Around Here
First a description of the situation.
My internetmodem is in my house and I want signal in my garage thats 60 yards away.
The signal has to go trough three triple-brick walls of my house. A small garage with plastic siding and finally trough steel SIP panels.
I tried repeaters but that didn't work well. Read at all.

So I'm currently considering a HomePlug, but I have no idea that will/can work.
The thing is that the house and garage have their own electric meter.
Can a homeplug signal travel through those meters?

If both meters are served from the same transformer maybe?

Your situation with two electrical meters is unique so you will need to buy a set of adapters from a store with a good return policy and then test them in your situation. The number of yards of electrical wire between the two locations will also attenuate the signal. I'm somewhat doubtful it will work but you can try.

If it doesn't work then you will need to go to Plan B which is setting up a wireless bridge using APs setup on the exterior of one or both buildings.

No you would not be able to do Homeplug. The reason that your signal did not reach was because of the SIP construction. I would setup an external AP on the house to beam a signal to another AP on the garage. Otherwise you could pull Fiber Optics from house to garage through buried conduit.

Under the best circumstances, Homeplug/powerline stuff kind of works. But in your case, it won't. It seems you have two different power systems between garage and house. You can try running co-axial wire if possible. MOCA 2.0 adapter is all you need to get consistent connection in garage.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!