What's new

Hope you get royalties Merlin

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Gar

Very Senior Member
RMerlin doesn't do this for 'royalties', nor does he charge for his opensource part of the firmware.

But I sure hope nobody is buying these used RT-AX88U with unknown firmware/scripts installed on them.

The breadth and width of 'scams' know no limits.

Reactions: Gar
RMerlin doesn't do this for 'royalties', nor does he charge for his opensource part of the firmware.

But I sure hope nobody is buying these used RT-AX88U with unknown firmware/scripts installed on them.

I know he doesn't. I've just never seen anybody use his f/w to "market" this way.

Bought two the other day once I saw the word Merlin... I am starting to think I should return these...., but I am tempted to wipe it in firmware recovery mode replacing the firmware with one I installed.....

You could, but I'd still be worried about the bootloader (if it's modified or not).

Not trying to scare you, but it is always a possibility.

You could, but I'd still be worried about the bootloader (if it's modified or not).

Not trying to scare you, but it is always a possibility.
or it is possible they were just using Merlin as a trademark to make a quick buck. I hope they are atleast decent enough to make a donation to support RMerlin and his continuous efforts.

My guesses isn't about their business 'model'.

I'm more concerned about the potential security aspects.

No, I don't. There was one legitimate business who in the past used to sell various router models pre-flashed with third party firmware (not just mine, but others as well), and they were very upfront about it, and they actually provided technical support for what they sold, including a warranty. That one company would send me something once or twice a year

However all of these Newegg/Amazon/eBay resellers are just individuals trying to abuse potential customers by charging a hefty premium for the five minutes it took them to flash a custom firmware, and pocketing any profit they make, providing zero technical support or aftersale warranty, and not giving anything back to whoever develops the firmware they preinstall.

So, I wouldn't trust these random resellers.

send 'em back...
Especially if someone is tech-savvy enough to take advantage of my firmware, they should also be able to flash it themselves without paying whatever premium a reseller charges them for doing it.

@L&LD Please let Eric speak for himself.

@thiggins, my apologies if my statements are taken out of context.

I'm not 'speaking' for Eric. I simply stated well-known and public facts.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!