What's new

Hopefully simple vlan question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mightyoakbob

Regular Contributor
Hi,
I'm looking to get my first managed switch and one of the things I hope it can do is provide another network with a different address range is this possible?

To be specific, I have a 192.168.1.x network at home but it would be great if I could also have a 192.168.0.x network and devices be able to talk to each other and the Internet from both LANs.

My switch of choice at the moment is a Zyxel GS1900-24E-GB0101F because it is fanless and when used without wing brackets it is narrow.

Advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Bob.

Hi,
I'm looking to get my first managed switch and one of the things I hope it can do is provide another network with a different address range is this possible?

To be specific, I have a 192.168.1.x network at home but it would be great if I could also have a 192.168.0.x network and devices be able to talk to each other and the Internet from both LANs.

My switch of choice at the moment is a Zyxel GS1900-24E-GB0101F because it is fanless and when used without wing brackets it is narrow.

Advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Bob.

No one has replied so I'll give it a shot. It's not as simple as it seems. You have two things at play here. To do what you want you need VLANs (which are layer 2) and subnets (which are layer 3). The switch you listed is capable of Vlan's (which can separate the traffic for you), but to be able to use another IP network range you need subnets, which your switch cannot do. Many times people do the subnetting at the router. What router are you using? If you want a switch to do VLAN's plus Subnetting you need a layer 3 switch (and in your case a layer 3 switch that supports DHCP). Switches are usually layer 2 devices and routers are usually layer 3 devices. There are switches that can do layer 2 and layer 3 switching/routing as I noted above, and there are routers that can also do both layer 2 and layer 3.

By the way I just reread your post. If you want the devices on one LAN to be able to talk to the devices on the other LAN, and both have WAN access, why are you looking to implement a second IP Range?

By the way I just reread your post. If you want the devices on one LAN to be able to talk to the devices on the other LAN, and both have WAN access, why are you looking to implement a second IP Range?
Hi,
Thanks for the replies. Sorry it has taken this long to get back to you. I ticked the box for email notification of a reply but didn't get an email, just dropped in to check and found your posts.

The reason I would like to run another address range is to service other people's nas boxes without changing their config. Basically, l need to transfer data base info at 6 month intervals and update their firmware.

Thanks for your help.

Bob.

No one has replied so I'll give it a shot. It's not as simple as it seems. You have two things at play here. To do what you want you need VLANs (which are layer 2) and subnets (which are layer 3). The switch you listed is capable of Vlan's (which can separate the traffic for you), but to be able to use another IP network range you need subnets, which your switch cannot do. Many times people do the subnetting at the router. What router are you using? If you want a switch to do VLAN's plus Subnetting you need a layer 3 switch (and in your case a layer 3 switch that supports DHCP). Switches are usually layer 2 devices and routers are usually layer 3 devices. There are switches that can do layer 2 and layer 3 switching/routing as I noted above, and there are routers that can also do both layer 2 and layer 3.
Hi,

Thanks for the reply, sorry slow reply see below...

Ok, I think I understand that. The router I'm using is asus RT-N66U with Merlin - John fork firmware
Thanks.

Bob.