What's new

Hoping for security advice DNSmasq and promiscuous mode

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

vikingsam

Occasional Visitor
Greetings! Sorry to ask rudimentary questions, I am just hoping someone will help me out. I recently had to perform a factory reset on my RT-AC56U after my nephew monkeyed around with it. Now, in my system logs, I keep seeing all my ethernet ports entering "promiscuous mode" and "forwarding state", and dnsmasq is running everything. I never saw any of this in prior logs. I am running 380.62.1. I have never intentionally used dnsmasq, had never heard of it until I saw the logs. I am in wireless router mode, have NAT passthrough all turned off, UPnP off, no VPN, using google DNS servers. I only use the router for my own home and just for a handful of devices. Is this stuff normal? Any ideas? Thanks much for ANY help.

This was the first factory reset I have done since getting the router initially set-up. Since then, I flashed two versions of Merlin's build over the stock build, but never did a factory reset (I am reading on this forum that a factory reset after a firmware flash can be a good idea). Could that be part of the reason I never saw the "promiscuous mode", "forwarding state" and anything about dnsmasq in my logs in the past?

Last edited:
All of this is perfectly normal.

Greetings! Sorry to ask rudimentary questions, I am just hoping someone will help me out. I recently had to perform a factory reset on my RT-AC56U after my nephew monkeyed around with it

Make sure you change the admin password from the default in the WebGUI...

Security being what it is now days...

Can anyone explain why,without having set them up, I seem to have a bridge functioning (br0), and I am seeing reference to a vlan? Just trying to figure out if these are default settings.... thanks much

Last edited:
All normal. The Ethernet ports are bridged with the two Wifi interfaces. VLANs are used to handle Internet vs LAN traffic.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!