What's new

hosts.add

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Scott Kaforey

Occasional Visitor
Hello,

I am trying to add a few entries to the hosts file so that they can be used by my entire network.

I tried adding it to /jffs/config/hosts.add and restarting dnsmasq, but it did not seem to take effect. I verified by checking and my entry wasn't added to /etc / hosts.

Rebooting the router fixed the issue, but I'm wondering how I can get it to add all of my hosts to / etc/ hosts without editing that file directly. Is there another command to run, or service that I should be restarting?

service restart_dnsmasq should update the hosts file as well, assuming JFFS custom configs and scripts are enabled in the GUI. They must be if it worked on a reboot. Check your syslog for messages that include “Appending”.

Also, make sure there is NOT a /jffs/configs/hosts file present (without .add).

Last edited:
Ok I figured out my problem. I was typing the wrong command to restart the service, but didn't know it because apparently even typing service alskfjalksfj_flakjsflkjaf echo's done to the terminal, which made me think I typed it right.

Thanks Dave!