What's new

House limited to 100MB.. Leave it or fix it?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Turgut Kalfaoglu

Regular Contributor
Hi. about 20 years ago when my house was being built (concrete), I had the electricians wire up CAT 5 cables into the electricity ducts. It worked fine, but now it's being a bit slow especially when it comes to lugging large files around.
It's a pain to wire for CAT 6, and I was wondering what you would recommend. Stick to wireless, do some wireless+LAN combo thing?

I mainly carry stuff from/to a central server to PC's around using SMB.

Many thanks, -turgut

Last edited:
I still use CAT5 with gig connections it works fine for me. None of my runs are long since I am at home. What is your problem? Maybe you just need to re-terminate. Do you have any pictures of the connectors?

Time to buy a new house! :D

Many thanks - I made all the connectors myself. In fact, I found out the hard way that the color coding matters - in cancelling noise. I had to redo all the ends in the recommended order. That's interesting you can get by with CAT5 for gigabit.. I will investigate further. I might have a 100MB switch in between somewhere..

Reactions: Gar
Confirm if you have CAT5 or CAT5e. CAT5 "might" work for 1Gbps connections, but unlikely especially if your runs are along power lines as well.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!