What's new

How about starting to review APs?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Vidmo

New Around Here
I love your router reviews and coverage, but I don't need a full router anymore with FreeBSD routers like pfSense around. Seems like there are few comprehensive AP reviews on the market today. What about the possibility of starting to request APs for review?

Thanks,
Vidmo

they do have AP reviews btw, they just dont go on the router ranking. Just search the site for stuff like ubiquiti AP as there has been articles and tests done.

Thanks, I did search and found nothing except some stuff from 2013. Please correct me if you see something newer.

We do occasionally review APs, but they are not a primary focus. We'll see if we can do more. But don't expect reviews of enterprise-class APs from Ruckus, Aruba, Cisco. Those vendors aren't interested in being covered by us.

Those vendors aren't interested in being covered by us.

Which is a shame, since a lot of people will buy products based on reviews. Between a 150$ home device that was reviewed or a 500$ business device for which you have to blindly put your faith in the manufacturer, for many SOHO the decision is a no brainer.

We do occasionally review APs, but they are not a primary focus. We'll see if we can do more. But don't expect reviews of enterprise-class APs from Ruckus, Aruba, Cisco. Those vendors aren't interested in being covered by us.

Thanks Tim. I appreciate the work you do and would love to see that same method applied to this category of products. That said, I understand that most manufactures like Linksys, Netgear, TPlink, etc don't put as much newer technology into their APs, so even if you did a review every six months or so that might be just enough to cover any of the latest products out there.

Why pay a premium for a product marketed (to consumers) as an AP, when ASUS et al sell multi-function WiFi router/AP/Bridge. The only difference is firmware. Dedicated single purpose consumer grade APs sell fewer and thus cost more than the multi-function products, like my RT-N56 that does 100/10Mbps from my ISP just fine on dual bands and I paid liek $80 for it.

To be sure, enterprise industrial APs (Cisco, Aruba,... ) are a different breed from consumer gear.

A WiFi router is a WiFi AP + NATing router + DHCP server, all in one box.

Why pay a premium for a product marketed (to consumers) as an AP, when ASUS et al sell multi-function WiFi router/AP/Bridge. The only difference is firmware. Dedicated single purpose consumer grade APs sell fewer and thus cost more than the multi-function products, like my RT-N56 that does 100/10Mbps from my ISP just fine on dual bands and I paid liek $80 for it.

To be sure, enterprise industrial APs (Cisco, Aruba,... ) are a different breed from consumer gear.

A WiFi router is a WiFi AP + NATing router + DHCP server, all in one box.

You say "the only difference is firmware" like the software/firmware features are unimportant... Cisco offers many software features that cannot be found in open-source (ATM, for example).

I wonder, do these high-end APs use different WiFi chips? If not, the difference may literally be the firmware.

I wonder, do these high-end APs use different WiFi chips? If not, the difference may literally be the firmware.
The differences may be more in RF design details;layout, different power amplifiers.

Keep in mind APs may not be designed to optimize range, while most routers are. This can cause tradeoffs in connection reliability.

You say "the only difference is firmware" like the software/firmware features are unimportant... Cisco offers many software features that cannot be found in open-source (ATM, for example).

Sometimes yes, sometimes is a remark of a consumer chip (provides for reporting purposes) - but it is the firmware, and more importantly, the build-quality that Enterprise class AP's have - and this drives the pricing accordingly...

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!