What's new

How can force Flash fw using Telnet or SSH ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Lost_Animal

Occasional Visitor
I flashed by mistake a Merlin's FW for RT-N16 on my RT-N66U !!! :D

Now my router is only accessible via Wifi and the Web interface working fine, but i am not able to Reflash the correct FW.

The RT-N66U FWs aborted because are not Compatible ! lol

The mini-WEB flash tool is not working any more and the Lan is Dead also.

The question is this....

Since I have a fully working SSH - Telnet via WiFi on 2.4 GHz, how can i Force a flash with the correct FW ?

I need your help !

Can i use mtd-write command to flash directly a trx file on the FW partition ?
TRX is ok, or must be ONLY bin file ?

I flashed by mistake a Merlin's FW for RT-N16 on my RT-N66U !!! :D
Hi,

This was already discussed multiple times:
Why do you not use the Firmware Restauration as described in the manual?

The ASUS RT-N66U B1 Firmware Restoration will do the job for you...

By the way: This was already discussed multiple times in the forum, and can be found by searching... :rolleyes:

With kind regards
Joe :cool:

If you read my post you will see that my LAN is Dead !!!!!!!!!!
So i can't use the Restoration Utility.

Rule Nr1.
Before you aswer read the entire Post .

Thanks !!!

Can i use mtd-write command to flash directly a trx file on the FW partition ?
TRX is ok, or must be ONLY bin file ?

Both CFE webpage and the Firmware Restoration tool should still work, since it's not part of the firmware but in a separate location of your router (so it should be untouched). Make sure you reset to factory defaults first (using the WPS button), and then go straight to recovery mode (using the Reset button). Recovery mode should then use the default config values, and LAN ports should work properly.

Otherwise yes, it's possible to flash using mtd-write. That's how I flash my routers almost all the time.

Code:
mtd-write -i /path/to/file.trx -d linux && reboot

This will flash the router, and reboot automatically IF the flash was succesfull.

Thank you Very Much Merlin.

My router is possibly a faulty one because my LAN is Completely DEAD.
Can't Ping it and thats why I must use the SSH Flash.

I think something broken on cfe Upgrade and the LAN since then always had problems.

My Warranty is broken also because I have opened the Case to Install mSD Card in the internal socket.

Is my last try to revive the Router before I will send it to Garbage Box.

Thanks my router is back to Life again, and i hope that will keep it for long.

BTW. I need the original 32K cfe for RT-N66U to copy my MACs and flash it back to router.

I think the cfe mod give me problems with LAN.

On dd-wrt they have a copy of 1.0.1.2 cfe..
Can I use this and correct the MACs or need an other 32k cfe ?

Last edited:
I'm kind of a noob, how can you ssh into the router if the LANs don't work?

Finally my router is defective !!!

Is working fine for 2-3 hours and then first loosing the USB devices and after the LAN starting Errors until it becomes completely DEAD.

Probably is hardware problem or overheating issue.

I am very very disappointed with this ROUTER.

Now i will smash it and throw it on the garbage box. 156 Euros on Garbage Box !!!

End of story for me.

My old RT-N16 is still working without any problem 4 years now.

When did you buy it? I believe asus has a 3 year warranty.

Finally my router is defective !!!

Is working fine for 2-3 hours and then first loosing the USB devices and after the LAN starting Errors until it becomes completely DEAD.

Probably is hardware problem or overheating issue.

I am very very disappointed with this ROUTER.

Now i will smash it and throw it on the garbage box. 156 Euros on Garbage Box !!!

End of story for me.

My old RT-N16 is still working without any problem 4 years now.

I'm fresh into this forum ... I am a long fan of ASUS, (Merlin FW more so) I had a lot of LOVE HATE with that router, but one day my RT-AC87U just died, no LAN or WAN, NOTHING!! for the longest time I couldn't figure what caused it to fail.
It was on a very good battery backup, proper ventilation and such even used CAT6 Quad shielded to the Switch, Modem etc... One day talking to my neighbor he told me how lightning hit the NODE of my cable provider which sits in my backyard. I wasn't home when it hit but had no indication because house has a backup Generator that kicks in automatically, but it did explained why I had to buy a new modem and router. The lightning surged through the poorly grounded post for the single run RG-6 (Quad Shielded Coax) cable from node to modem, which fried the Router and thank God it didn't hit my very expensive switch. I've installed a deeper and thicker ground post to replace the old 45 year old one. just wanna pass that on to anyone that did their breaker box upgrade on an old house, *TIP* talk with your electrician on assesing the grounding post to your home.
thanks for reading my first post to a VERY old issue ... RT-AX88U all the way, Thanks Merlin for being the guy we can all salute to cuz without your efforts we'd be some hair pulling monkeys ( so to speak )

For more complete protection of your network you could replace your ground block with a ground block that includes a surge protector and you can also add a surge protector between your modem and your router on the Cat6 cable. Both these passive devices are relatively inexpensive and offer you some additional lightning protection unless it is a direct hit on your home in which case probably nothing will save your electrical appliances and electronics.

The only issue I have with the coaxial surge protector is explaining what it is when Comcast runs a service call at my home. They usually remove mine and replace it with their standard ground blocks. After they leave I put my coaxial surge protector back into the demarc.