What's new

How do I access the remote router via a VPN?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mummel

Regular Contributor
Hi guys - I was hoping someone can help me. I've successfully setup a VPN connection. Im VPN connecting to a N56U router via a Windows 7 PC on a separate network that also connects to the net through a N56U.

Web traffic is getting routed correctly (Google thinks my PCs IP is coming from the remote location).

However, I am trying to access the router on the remote network, but because I'm currently connected to my existing network, when I type in 192.168.1.1, it points me to the router at my location, and does not allow me to access the remote router (who's address is also 192.168.1.1 at that location).

So my question is - how can I access the remote router via a VPN connection? The reason being is that the Asus N56U does not allow encrypted remote router access (just unencrypted over port 8080). So my plan was to create a VPN connection to the router from my PC, that would hopefully allow me just to type in 192.168.1.1, and allow me to access the remote router. What IP do I type in to access the remote router?

Thanks guys.

Im a bit of a noob but why not use the inbuilt DDNS feature so you dont have to type IP's and then use that URL to connect to the remote router?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2NjKkXW30Y

VID on how to do this ^ its free :)

So I actually did this already and it worked great when I was on location (redirect took place), but when I try to access the URL off location, it doesnt allow me to. I suspect that's because the router is setup to not be accessed remotely (recall there is no encryption on the 56u), and for some reason the router knows Im not local. Could this be a bug?

So with that said, I thought I would make a VPN to try and access the remote router. And the VPN connects fine - when I type in whatismyip in Google, it gives me the offsite IP, so its working. However, even with the VPN connection, typing in the DDNS address does not allow me access to the router (and why is this?), so I'm trying to find the DNS format that will work.

Does anyone know how this works? All I want to do is have my off site PC look like a local machine on the network whos router Im trying to access, so that I can access that router by typing in 192.168.1.1. At a minimum, it should be able to access it via the DDNS URL, but it still thinks Im not local.

And when I type in this DNS, it points my the router on my current network. When I type in the DDNS, it gives me a server not found error (because it knows Im not local, possible bug?). Any help would be great guys. I have searched but cant find a simple solution. TY.

Last edited:
What you need to do is as follows:

1. Enable remote access to your router over the WAN using the WEB interface using either port 80 or 8080.

2. Sign up for a dynamic DNS service and then start the service on your router.

Then where everyou are in the world when you type joeblowsrouter.selfip.net (whatever name you set up ) the DNS service will resolve it to be whatever the current Public IP of your router is. You will then be asked to provide your username and password to log into your router.

Be sure you have a very strong password as your router will be open to attack to anyone that wants to try and hack in from anywhere in the world.

You can use a VPN to connect to your router from wherever you are and I suppose it would protect your password from being intercepted.

I am not aware of anyway that you can connect from the WAN to your router and use its private LAN IP such as 192.168.1.1.

Good luck.

However, I am trying to access the router on the remote network, but because I'm currently connected to my existing network, when I type in 192.168.1.1, it points me to the router at my location, and does not allow me to access the remote router (who's address is also 192.168.1.1 at that location).

So my question is - how can I access the remote router via a VPN connection? The reason being is that the Asus N56U does not allow encrypted remote router access (just unencrypted over port 8080). So my plan was to create a VPN connection to the router from my PC, that would hopefully allow me just to type in 192.168.1.1, and allow me to access the remote router. What IP do I type in to access the remote router?

Thanks guys.

The VPN assign address block/pool needs to be outside of your local address pool, otherwise you'll be redirected back to the local, not remote, IP.

For example - if your local DHCP server is handing out 192.168.1.xxx addresses, the VPN address pool needs to be something outside of it, for example, 192.168.16.xxx...

I assign one pool (192.168.aaa.bbb) for my local LAN addresses, one small block outside of it (on a 10.www.xxx.yyy block) for VPN and my travel router has a 172.16.ccc.ddd range... These sugggestions are based on experience, as most hotel/hotspots tend to run certain IP ranges..

What you need to do is as follows:

1. Enable remote access to your router over the WAN using the WEB interface using either port 80 or 8080.

2. Sign up for a dynamic DNS service and then start the service on your router.

Then where everyou are in the world when you type joeblowsrouter.selfip.net (whatever name you set up ) the DNS service will resolve it to be whatever the current Public IP of your router is. You will then be asked to provide your username and password to log into your router.

Be sure you have a very strong password as your router will be open to attack to anyone that wants to try and hack in from anywhere in the world.

You can use a VPN to connect to your router from wherever you are and I suppose it would protect your password from being intercepted.

I am not aware of anyway that you can connect from the WAN to your router and use its private LAN IP such as 192.168.1.1.

Good luck.

Thank you for this info. Yeah I figured this is what I could do as a last resort, with the VPN protecting my password from being intercepted (well I hoped that would be the case, wasnt 100% sure, but you have now confirmed that). However, like you said, the router would be open to attack 24/7, and I really dont like that idea. I was hoping there would be a smarter solution. Thanks. Keeping this on the backburner.

The VPN assign address block/pool needs to be outside of your local address pool, otherwise you'll be redirected back to the local, not remote, IP.

For example - if your local DHCP server is handing out 192.168.1.xxx addresses, the VPN address pool needs to be something outside of it, for example, 192.168.16.xxx...

I assign one pool (192.168.aaa.bbb) for my local LAN addresses, one small block outside of it (on a 10.www.xxx.yyy block) for VPN and my travel router has a 172.16.ccc.ddd range... These sugggestions are based on experience, as most hotel/hotspots tend to run certain IP ranges..

SFX - this looks like a good idea. So if I'm reading this correctly. Can I give the remote router a static IP address and name it say 192.168.16.1 for example? And then setup the DNS on the remote router to include a range of say 192.168.16.2 to 192.168.16.999 (and then remove that range from my local router so my local router doesnt overlap and allocate similar DNS). Can I then type in 192.168.16.1 on my local network, and then will it redirect to the remote router? I hope this makes sense. Will this work? Thanks.

Do you guys know if its possible to setup a MAC filter for LAN? Perhaps one thing I can do is to create a MAC white list, add my local machine to the remote router's list, as well as the other LAN devices on the remote server. That way, wont it help protect my router from external attack? Thanks.

it would help with internal attacks, not external

Sorry for all the questions. Another thing I wanted to clear up is how can I access the machines/devices on the remote network. After the VPN connects, I cant see them in My Network. I know some of the IPs overlap (I have static IPs assigned on both sides that overlap). Is this causing the problem? If I create the fix mentioned about (i.e. remote router only uses 192.168.16.1 - XXX), would this resolve the problem? Will it then just show the remote network's devices once the VPN connects?

I keep getting this feeling that the N56U keeps the local network completely separate from the VPN network it creates. I really hope I can integrate these two. Thanks all.

you should go ahead and change your private network to something other than a default. this can definitely complicate things, otherwise.

you should go ahead and change your private network to something other than a default. this can definitely complicate things, otherwise.

Cool I will do this tonight, thanks. Are there any other tips for getting remote PCs/folders to show up under My Network once the VPN connects, just in case this doesnt work?

i would expect things to just work, actually.

SFX - this looks like a good idea. So if I'm reading this correctly. Can I give the remote router a static IP address and name it say 192.168.16.1 for example? And then setup the DNS on the remote router to include a range of say 192.168.16.2 to 192.168.16.999 (and then remove that range from my local router so my local router doesnt overlap and allocate similar DNS). Can I then type in 192.168.16.1 on my local network, and then will it redirect to the remote router? I hope this makes sense. Will this work? Thanks.

Guys, is it possible to assign a new IP to my router on the N56U? For example, by default, Asus uses 192.168.1.1. Is is possible to give it a static IP of say 192.168.16.1? Thanks.

yessir. it can be whatever you want, really, but something.1 is the norm

yessir. it can be whatever you want, really, but something.1 is the norm

Sweet, because if I can do that, surely once the VPN is connected, if I type in 192.168.16.1 on my local machine, it will then point to the remote router and give me the login screen? Isnt this the easiest way to do this?