What's new

How do i add a VPN exception?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Lydia1989

New Around Here
I have a VPN setup on my asus merlin router,
i have an apple tv with Netflix installed, the VPN doesn't work very well with netflix on the apple tv
is there any way i could add an exception or disable the vpn ONLY for the Netflix app on the Apple TV.
i have an RT-AC86U running 386.7

i already tried this, but it didnt work, since it's an app on the apple tv, not a website

i already tried this, but it didnt work, since it's an app on the apple tv, not a website

There's no way for the router to manage access on a per app basis. Once the traffic reaches the router, such information is LOST, and all it knows is the destination/domain (e.g., Netflix). But that should be sufficient to solve the problem if in fact you're trying to specifically reroute Netflix traffic, regardless what app/browser generated it.

P.S. The other option is to reroute the entire Apple TV device through the WAN w/ the VPN Director. But I assume that's NOT your intent.

Who is your VPN provider? In the case of NordVPN you can associate your WAN IP address with what they call smart DNS on their website-this would fix the Netflix issue. Just putting it out there.

P.S. The other option is to reroute the entire Apple TV device through the WAN w/ the VPN Director. But I assume that's NOT your intent.

I did it before with the VPN Director, which is very simple to do, but it does reroute the entire Apple TV. i'm trying to follow through with the instructions you posted earlier, but it's hard to follow through, it somewhat complicated, i wish there was a simpler way to do this.

Thank you for all your help