What's new

How do I block internal network connection to a NAS drive

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BreakingDad

Very Senior Member
Hi,

I have a network drive on ip 192.168.1.14 internal. I would like to block 2 of my children from accessing it on the network as it contains adult rated movies (not that kind honest!).

I have an RT-N66U with latest Merlin. I tried to add it to the firewall last night (with TCP ALL and UDP ) in both directions and it would not block. It's a DLNA drive with public folder that my (older) son and I keep movies and tv on.

It shows up on my younger kids network as public folder.

How do I block this please?

Regards

BD

Set up the guest network, let the kids use that, they can still get on the internet but can't access the internal network, or log into the router and mess with it. Obviously change the password on the non guest network so they can't get on that anymore.

Paul

Firewalls don't matter because it's on the LAN and it's switched traffic, not routed, which is where the firewall comes in to play. You can try a guest network (or VLAN'ing it out) but that will also remove access to the public folders.

Some DLNA servers can be configured to only allow access to certain folders from certain devices. Check the documentation. This would be the best way.

If you can't configure the DLNA server to restrict access, then remove those folders from DLNA and use samba permissions instead. The downside is your player might not support samba shares.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!