What's new

How do I change my actual wired network name from "Patty's Pub 5G 2"?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

talisman2208

Occasional Visitor
1684373400734.png

I'm confused at how it even got named that, as it's a wired network. I have the ASUS ZenWiFi Pro AXE 11000's

Any ideas? I don't see any options in the settings.

It's a Windows "feature", nothing to do with the router. It's quite annoying that Windows decides it's going to name your LAN after the SSID you connected to. :rolleyes:

There's probably a "proper" way of renaming it but I just edit the Windows registry if it doesn't correct itself.

Are you sure you're only connected to the network via ethernet? It looks like you're connect by Wi-Fi.

Last edited:
Its a Windows thing for LAN connections. Search the internet for how to change "network profile name" on Windows. Example:
In the second Windows 11 example they are renaming the network adapter name, not the network name. It is the only the first example that I'm aware of that changes the network name.

(IIRC in Windows 7 you could simply click on the name in the GUI and change it. Obviously Microsoft had to change that :rolleyes:.)

In the second Windows 11 example they are renaming the network adapter name, not the network name. It is the only the first example that I'm aware of that changes the network name.
Yeah took a second read through the Win 11 article and the writer seems to use "network name" and "network adapter name" interchangeable. Removed that link from my earlier post.

View attachment 50196

I'm confused at how it even got named that, as it's a wired network. I have the ASUS ZenWiFi Pro AXE 11000's

Any ideas? I don't see any options in the settings.

Their (very basic) algorithm will see if the wifi and wired are getting the same IP from the same DHCP server etc and assume it is the same network. In my experience once you rename it it seems to stay, but thats Win10 and before, not running 11 yet. If they didn't have "5G" in the name it would actually make sense but you can easily change the "5G 2" to "Wired".