What's new

How do I configure a switch so that the devices connected to it get IP from the router?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Protik

Hi all,

I have overgrown my number of devices that I can connect to my AC68U running Merlin's 384.13. So going to buy a GS305E switch. In terms of networking knowledge, I am a noob. So I need your help.

How do I configure the switch so that the devices connect to the switch get IP from the router?

My configuration would be:

Code:
                NAS
               /
              /
AC68U -- GS305E ---- TV
              \
               \
              Shield TV

I know this is not strictly related to Merlin, but I thought this situation should be resonate with a lot of members here.

See the installation guide that comes with the switch (or download it). Basically you plug it in and it works. If you want to do anything more complicated refer to the user guide.

See the installation guide that comes with the switch (or download it). Basically you plug it in and it works. If you want to do anything more complicated refer to the user guide.

Thanks. I actually was looking into it. But the problem is I don't know the technical term for what I want to do. So it's kinda getting nowhere.

IIRC, that switch comes configured as a standard switch. Just plug it in, connect the network cables and it should just all work. The switch will just pass traffic, including DHCP requests, and any reserved addresses on the LAN will be handed out as usual.

But the problem is I don't know the technical term for what I want to do.

Just describe in simple words what you are planning to do with this smart managed switch. If the goal is only to connect a few more wired devices, then you don't need a smart switch. Just get one normal (unmanaged) Gigabit switch for $20, plug your cables in and turn the power ON.

@Jack Yaz and @HarryH3... I was on the phone for few minutes, next time give me a chance to post something. :D

Last edited:
Thanks. I actually was looking into it. But the problem is I don't know the technical term for what I want to do. So it's kinda getting nowhere.

You may wish in the future to consider VLANs to segregate groups of devices such as IoT devices etc.
Code:
                    +---- NAS 192.168.1.25
192.168.1.1         |
AC68U ------ GS305E +---- TV  192.168.1.55
              +
              |
              +------Shield TV 192.168.100.1
e.g. you may want to isolate say the Shield TV so it can only access the Internet (but the TV can access the NAS content) then you create a VLAN on the GS305E for the port it is attached to and make the GS305E port connected to the AC68U a trunk port.
(Not as scary as the terminology would make you believe! - honest)

Although I don't have personal experience with the GS305E, I think it would be a good (future proof) choice, as I'm still using several GS108PEv3, GS108Ev2 and TL-SG2008 switches.

Managed
Amazon UK GS305E £18.99 (normally £23)

upload_2019-12-7_12-40-51.png

vs.

Unmanaged

upload_2019-12-7_12-41-36.png

Last edited:
If you don't want to do anything complicated, an unmanaged switch is probably a better choice
This is the best advice. There is absolutely no need for a managed switch in this instance.

Buy a cheap unmanaged gigabit switch and just plug it in. No configuration required nor any potential complications.

You can add as many switches as you like in this fashion to your home network, just so long as you don't connect them such that there are any looped connections (should only be one possible physical network path back to the router).

This is the best advice. There is absolutely no need for a managed switch in this instance.

Buy a cheap unmanaged gigabit switch.
The additional cost to future proof is £1.50 - so why not?

Amazon UK Managed Switch GS305E £18.99
vs.
Amazon UK Unmanaged Switch GS305 £16.49

Speaking of future proofing. Consider an 8 port switch to a 5 port ditto. Just minimal use (2 ports) will reduce the number of free ports to 3. An 8 port Netgear GS308E is £26.99. The additional cost to the managed 5 port switch is £8. Only the OP will know...

So going to buy a GS305E switch.
Clearly the OP was diligently simply asking for feedback/confirmation that his fait accompli was well founded.
OP is a novice user and a smart switch adds needless complication.
How exactly?

As already advised, the GS305E is plug'n'play, meaning no configuration required, and I'm sure the OP is 100% capable of successfully plugging in the Ethernet cables into the 'correct' ports to get things working first time (no need to RTFM!), unlike your good self who confessed that apparently it's not as easy as it looks. ;)

If the price difference is that small, I would also go with a smart router, may come handy at some point.

P.S. I mean switch, of course, not router...

Last edited:
Clearly the OP was diligently simply asking for feedback/confirmation that his fait accompli was well founded.

How exactly?

As already advised, the GS305E is plug'n'play, meaning no configuration required, and I'm sure the OP is 100% capable of successfully plugging in the Ethernet cables into the 'correct' ports to get things working first time (no need to RTFM!), unlike your good self who confessed that apparently it's not as easy as it looks. ;)

How exactly?

I'm not violently opposing it, and not going to push the argument. I agree that while this smart switch is likely to be plug and play and work just fine. I simply don't see the point here.

As for complications, since you asked, off the top of my head, a smart switch will present just one more security vulnerability on the network since the default password is unlikely to be updated by a novice.
This particular switch may be relatively bug free, I don't have experience with this one, but in general, the smarter it is, the more can go wrong. (eg. I have personally encountered various consumer-grade smart switches which have a tendency to erroneously lock down ports due to false spanning tree loop detection. This would be a bugger for someone to diagnose if they didn't know what to look for)

I know the OP just wanted to verify a smart switch can function like a dumb switch. In the same spirit (buying something extra now in case it may bring fun in the future), folks might also consider getting one with poe. I got a used 24port gbe Poe smart switch from ebay for $100... 365W for lots of Poe devices in the future and some 'routerish' features for advanced users (I barely scratch the surface on it myself with 3 poe cams and basic vlan stuff).

This kind of hardware is readily available used thanks to IT companies having to keep up. In today's age with cloud IOT companies shuffling decks often, having a poe switch brings the potential to go full local with cameras etc (with all the bennies of cloud if you use a router vpn).

Thanks a lot guys! Sorry for the delayed reply, weekend was... busy.

I got the switch yesterday and it worked out of the box!

In terms of requirements, you guys are right. I don't need a managed switch. But I like to tinker with things. That's how I got to know Merlin and the ecosystem. So it's quite possible that I will start tinkering with the switch as well. So I wanted to have that possibility open.

Thanks again for the helpful discussion. I am bookmarking this.