What's new

How do I know if VPN is working?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

AnnieBody

Regular Contributor
Hi
I am using a VPN on my PC. When accessing a website such as https://whatismyipaddress.com/ I get a different IP address and location to my standard ISP one, which is what I would expect.
I have now installed OpenVPN on my router (as well as the separate PC VPN) and tunnelled just one android device as a trial. When using the same IP address website from my device it advises my connection is with the ISP.
Would I be correct in assuming this too should have a different IP address and location similar to how my PC VPN behaves?
If so, then some advice as to what I might be doing wrong would be appreciated.

What VPN are you using on your PC?

OpenVPN will give you your router's (ISP) IP address, as designed.

Would I be correct in assuming this too should have a different IP address and location similar to how my PC VPN behaves?
Yes. As a test try tunnelling all devices through the router's VPN and checking the external IP address again.

I think the picture in RMerlin's documentation demonstrates how to accompish what you're after: VPN Director

Specifically The rule with the "tunnel subnet" description, though you'll need to adjust the subnet and interface to match your server setup.

If OpenVPN will give me my router's ISP address how is my IP address changed by OpenVPN.
I live in the UK, so how does setting up OpenVPN for USA still return my local ISP as my location?
Isn't this exactly what a VPN is supposed to resolve?

If OpenVPN will give me my router's ISP address how is my IP address changed by OpenVPN.
I live in the UK, so how does setting up OpenVPN for USA still return my local ISP as my location?
Isn't this exactly what a VPN is supposed to resolve?
Post #2 is wrong.

If OpenVPN will give me my router's ISP address

This means something is wrong. When connected you have to see VPN server's IP address and different name for ISP.

Don't expect NordVPN or ExpressVPN (example) as ISP name. It will be the name of the company running the data center.

Check your settings again. It has to return US IP address and some different company name for ISP.

Last edited:
Haha, but perhaps likely? The NSA specifically monitoring /all/ "VPN'd" traffic 'cause "here's somebody trying to hide something." Don't have a clue either way, just a passing notion while reading threads such as this...

It appears the first time it took a while to establish the VPN during which time my local ISP was showing.
Now when I toggle the enable it takes about a minute to establish the VPN and change to the expected address.
It would be of some help if the GUI reflected an actual connected status as well as the enable.
Thanks to all for your responses.

it takes about a minute to establish the VPN

This is strange. I have a NordVPN account and the router's VPN Client connects in seconds. Change the server and try again.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!