What's new

How do I make OpenVPN start on router boot when in AP MODE?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

blackjackel

Occasional Visitor
OpenVPN is disabled when AsusWRT is in AP mode but only the link is diabled, I can still access and enabling it by going to the link (i bookmarked it)

But it won't start on router boot anymore, how do I do this?

OpenVPN is disabled when AsusWRT is in AP mode but only the link is diabled, I can still access and enabling it by going to the link (i bookmarked it)

But it won't start on router boot anymore, how do I do this?

OpenVPN is implemented expecting to have a WAN interface - something that AP mode doesn't have. It's not supported outside of router mode.

That's the thing, the router under AP mode does have a WAN interface, the only difference is that instead of the router getting WAN from the modem, the other router is providing WAN to it...

OpenVPN works and functions great, and anything that runs on the router or is connected to it is routed through OpenVPN, which is exactly what I want.

The only problem is that OpenVPN won't start on boot, and I was thinking there was some sort of script I can have run on startup to boot it.

That's the thing, the router under AP mode does have a WAN interface, the only difference is that instead of the router getting WAN from the modem, the other router is providing WAN to it...

OpenVPN works and functions great, and anything that runs on the router or is connected to it is routed through OpenVPN, which is exactly what I want.

The only problem is that OpenVPN won't start on boot, and I was thinking there was some sort of script I can have run on startup to boot it.

It's not WAN the way you think of it. At the software level, there is no WAN interface on the router while in AP mode - it does not get a public IP, does not resolve DNS queries (dnsmasq doesn't even run if I recall correctly), doesn't route or do NAT, etc... It's all forwarded to the main router.

It's not WAN the way you think of it. At the software level, there is no WAN interface on the router while in AP mode - it does not get a public IP, does not resolve DNS queries (dnsmasq doesn't even run if I recall correctly), doesn't route or do NAT, etc... It's all forwarded to the main router.

So the only way to put asuswrt merlin behind another router is to set it to ap mode right? Unless I turn off dhcp and all router fuctions from the 1st router.

I understand it's not supported for OpenVPN to start on AP mode, but there's no way to do this with a script or console command? If it's possible would i put the script in /jffs/scripts folder, right? or some other way?

you could just run the device in router mode, with a different local IP than the primary and not use the WAN port at all. and disable dhcp

I understand it's not supported for OpenVPN to start on AP mode, but there's no way to do this with a script or console command? If it's possible would i put the script in /jffs/scripts folder, right? or some other way?

If you are prepared to manually configure the openvpn server config file yourself, configure all routes by hands, etc... then sure, it could be done, but you're pretty much on your own.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!