What's new

How do I switch to 5 GHz only?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hi all,
Newbie here! Trying to work out how I know if my router is at 2.4 GHz, 5 GHz, or both.

I bought the D900 66U based on reviews and recommendations and have found it fast and a great improvement on the previous router. I upgraded because I am now running a Legato Eyetv on my MacBook Pro and iPad2. The iPad couldn't play recordings or video on the MacBook under the old router. It can with the ASUS.

Today the live tv option developed a stutter just like it had under the old router. It was working before! Interference? I thought it was a possibility so wondered if the ASUS could be switched to run 5 GHz only.

Logging into the router, I couldn't see anything simple that said: you are in 2.4 or 5 or dual. Nor could I see any screen or option to run in 5 only. I might be dense and missed it but I did look all around at every tab, and had someone look with me.

I am not very knowledgable in routers, I know the basics. I googled but couldn't find anything to help.

Is there something there that tells me what I am running in? And how to run 5GHz only?

Running at 5 GHz might not even solve my problem but I want to eliminate 2.4 interference as the source of the problem.

Thanks in advance.
gg

Hi,
They ought to have different SSID. From connected device can show which SSID it is connected to.

I would give them different SSID's too...like tonyH said.

Make your 2.4 Ghz SSID Gadget24 and your 5 Ghz SSID Gadget5. (examples).

If you really want to disable the 2.4 Ghz radio, then click on the wireless tab, then select 2.4 Ghz, then click on "Professional Settings". Then Enable Radio = no.

Edit: It's usually best to set the 2.4 Ghz channel bandwidth to "20 Mhz" and use inSSIDer to help you find the best 2.4 Ghz channel. (Sometimes you have to painstakingly go through all of the channels one-by-one in areas of heavy 2.4 Ghz congestion)

http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/

Last edited:
By default the router separates the networks Asus and Asus_5G just leave it that way. Too easy why are you making it so hard on yourself. Good lawd.

5 GHz only - done but didn't help

Thank you all for how I move to 5 GHz only. Sure enough, saying 'no radio' in 2.4 turned off the 2.4 light on the front of the router. I didn't know how to do that so I learned something.

Sad to say, running at 5 GHz, eyetv live tv still stutters badly, so it's not interference at 2.4 doing me in.

I took my iPad over to someone's house where they too use eyetv, and I was able to run live tv with no stutter. Go figure. They're using Bell Sympatico as their ISP. I am Rogers.

I also tested on my iPhone and again, live tv stutters.

Back to the drawing board.
thank you

gg

Thank you all for how I move to 5 GHz only. Sure enough, saying 'no radio' in 2.4 turned off the 2.4 light on the front of the router. I didn't know how to do that so I learned something.

Sad to say, running at 5 GHz, eyetv live tv still stutters badly, so it's not interference at 2.4 doing me in.

I took my iPad over to someone's house where they too use eyetv, and I was able to run live tv with no stutter. Go figure. They're using Bell Sympatico as their ISP. I am Rogers.

I also tested on my iPhone and again, live tv stutters.

Back to the drawing board.
thank you

gg

Just a few questions.......

1. What firmware version do you have?

2. Have you tried updating the firmware?

3. Have you tried resetting the Asus RT-N66U to factory defaults and reconfiguring from scratch?

4. What is your antenna position(s)? Check the user manual as it shows you how to position the antennas........and locate the router.

http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?m=RT-N66U+(VER.B1)&os=8&slanguage=en

Edit: Troubleshooting steps that solve probably 90% of problems in link below:

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=12453

Last edited:
How do i switch to 5 GHz only/ eyetv not streaming live tv

Hi
Bingo! At least for now …
When I last tried to stream livetv I was on the latest firmware of 3.0.0.4.374.720 but I checked again and found an update to 979. Downloaded that, and as I have to reboot the router anyway, I thought I would return as you suggest, to factory settings.
Eyetv is now streaming without a stutter!

When I first got the router, eyetv streamed live tv ok then it stopped, so if it happens again, I'll repeat the firmware/reset actions to see if it clears it.

I thank you.:)

gg