What's new

How do I tell if my device is using wifi 6?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Lee MacMillan

I've currently have only 1 wifi 6 capable device (my iPhone 11). How do I tell if it's got a wifi 6 connection? I have wifi 6 enabled but not 160-Mhz. There's no indication in the client list (Merlin 386.4) as far as I can tell nor on the phone. Is there somewhere else in the firmware settings that indicates the connection type?

By coincidence, I do have a few burning questions, that perhaps someone can give some advice/feedback on:
(see my closing for router and firmware)
I have a 500 mbps connection, for my modest household. there are only a couple ax devices on my network.
So questions are:
Does using 160 Mhz for a 500 mbps connection really help? I am thinking that with an ax card, just using 80 mhz will give full speed (as the ac devices do) and 160 may only useful for 1 gbps or more? It seems to me that when 160 is active, it is actually a bit slower (as it hogs adjacent channels as well)? Or is it just me?
Finally, If I disable 160, then I assume dfs mechanism with auto channel will still work without 160 mhz selected?

Thanks for your opinions.

I use 5 GHz set to 20, 40, 60, 80 MHz on Auto channel. Most of the time it runs at 80 MHz and will switch up to 160 MHz when an AX client connects that can use more bandwidth.

there are only a couple ax devices on my network.
The only ax device I own is a PS5 and that doesn't support 160MHz operation.

Does using 160 Mhz for a 500 mbps connection really help?
Probably not. Even a single stream client could get a link speed of up to 600Mbps on 80MHz. It might help a tiny bit in some edge cases.

Finally, If I disable 160, then I assume dfs mechanism with auto channel will still work without 160 mhz selected?
Yes.

By coincidence, I do have a few burning questions, that perhaps someone can give some advice/feedback on:
(see my closing for router and firmware)
I have a 500 mbps connection, for my modest household. there are only a couple ax devices on my network.
So questions are:
Does using 160 Mhz for a 500 mbps connection really help? I am thinking that with an ax card, just using 80 mhz will give full speed (as the ac devices do) and 160 may only useful for 1 gbps or more? It seems to me that when 160 is active, it is actually a bit slower (as it hogs adjacent channels as well)? Or is it just me?

Thanks for your opinions.

All things being equal, 160 MHz bw doubles? the capacity of the pipe in time over 80 MHz for ax clients that will use it... but requires using DFS channels on the 5.0 band that are subject to channel/client disruption, perhaps more so than with just ch Auto.

My current wireless settings preferences are in my install notes. My one ax client is wired and my ISP is a nominal 200/10. If my wireless backhaul had ax on both ends, I would have one reason to use 160 MHz now before the much less crowded 6.0 band arrives here.

OE

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!