What's new

How do range extenders work ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Denna

I have a mobile hotspot that needs to connect to a router through an extender.

Hotspot <Wi-fi> Range Extender <Ethernet> Router

The hotspot, extender and router are placed next to each other.

Since the distance between the hotspot and extender is less than 3 feet, 5 GHz should be the better frequency for performance.

According to the manufacturer, the hotspot supports AC1750 and MU-MIMO. Does that mean 433 MHz is for the 2.4 GHz frequency and 1300 MHz is for the 5 GHz frequency ?

When a range extender connects to the hotspot, does it use one 5 GHz stream or multiple streams ?

When deciding on which one to buy, would an extender that supports greater than 1300 MHz for the 5 GHz frequency be a waste ?

You would be better off getting a router that supports a wireless WAN connection. But assuming you can't do that..

5 GHz will provide higher speed, yes. But the throughput you get will depend on the extender's wireless class.

What hotspot are you using? I know of none that support AC1750, which is a 3x3 design.

AC1750 routers support up to 450 Mbps in 2.4 GHz and 1300 Mbps in 5 GHz. But that is only with a device that also supports those rates.

thiggins,

The hotspot is an LG V521WG and according to LG customer service it supports AC1750.

When a range extender connects to the hotspot, does it use one 5 GHz stream or multiple streams ?

When deciding on which one to buy, would an extender that supports greater than 1300 MHz for the 5 GHz frequency be a waste ?​

thiggins,

The LG V521WG is a tablet that acts as a mobile hotspot.

The LG V521WG is a tablet that acts as a mobile hotspot.
Ok. I cannot find any reference to Wi-Fi spec other than 802.11a/b/g/n/ac. I can find no reference to supporting AC1750. This would require a 3x3 radio, which would be highly unlikely in a tablet or mobile device.

thiggins,

The AC1750 reference came from LG customer support.

After some research, I read the tablet uses a Qualcomm Snapdragon 615 chip. In the product brief for this chip, connectivity is supported by VIVE 1-stream 802.11n/ac. VIVE 1-stream 802.11n/ac supports up to 433 Mbps on a single stream.

That LG customer support got this wrong doesn't surprise me.​

1x1 AC sounds much more likely. So an AC750 class extender would be a proper match. Anything higher will be a waste of money unless you can get a good deal on an AC1200 extender.

Can you explain how extender speeds are specified ?

If an extender shows a 1300 Mbps speed for the 5 GHz frequency, does that mean it has (3) 5 GHz streams each running at 433 Mbps ? Or is it (1) stream running at 1300 Mbps ?

If an extender will act as an Ethernet to Wi-Fi media bridge between (1) hotspot and (1) router, is more than one stream used ?

I've seen the Netgear EX6150 priced at less than $50.

It has a dual core CPU, more 5 GHz speed than is necessary, but it's two years old.

Can the Netgear EX6150 be used as a media bridge ?

For a home network that will be routing (2) HD Netflix connections, (1) HD Youtube connection, online console gaming and web surfing, is the Netgear EX6150 up to the task ?

thiggins,

So one 5 GHz stream is equal to 433 Mbps ?​

WIFIDataRates.JPG

How do you find out the channel width of an Android tablet's Wi-Fi capabilities ?

Go to wifi setting, dubell tab om your network SSID and info comes up about its status, signal strength, speed, freq, security, ip.
Torque-Wifi-Step11_zpsa06c3a08.jpg

Last edited: