What's new

How does Multi-Generation Wireless Affect Speed on same band?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cranso

New Around Here
If I have two bands on my router and I connect a wireless g to a 2.4 and a wireless n to a 5 band shouldn't each band operate at optimal wireless speed? But if I connect a wireless g to a 5g and a wireless n to a 5g then the 5g band will throttle down to the lowest speed of the wireless g - is this correct?

My question is spearheading the various bits of information out there that says if you connect different generation wireless devices to a band then that band will throttle down it's max speed to the lowest common denominator.

If anyone can provide a good link or explanation to this I'd appreciate it.

Cranso

Slower devices take up more air time than faster ones, but ONLY when they are active. Simply connecting G and AC devices to the same radio isn't a problem. But start a YouTube video on both devices and the G device will limit the total available bandwidth.

AC routers have better airtime scheduling algorithms to minimize the slowdown. But in the end slower devices determine the maximum available bandwidth.

This article illustrates the effect.
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wire...l-do-ac-routers-handle-mixed-networks?start=2

It's not as bad as it was with 11b and 11g - that was pretty ugly back then... the current crop of 11ac chipsets do a pretty good job of handling 11n/11ac in mixed mode.

still best to get the legacy devices upgraded if possible... not just for performance, but also for security.