What's new

How does the "Gaming Port" works?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dr Mono

Regular Contributor
Question: How does the Asus "Gaming Port" works and how it prioritizes traffic to whatever is attached to it? Hypothetically, if I have multiple gaming consoles (or gaming PCs), can I attach a switch to the "Gaming Port" and prioritize traffic to everything connected to the switch? Or the whole thing is, mostly, snake oil?

I know I could use the firmware to prioritize individual devices, but I'm curious about leveraging said port.

Thanks in advance for the info!

The routers come with QoS disabled and NAT acceleration enabled by default. There is nothing obvious to process the packets and prioritize traffic, unless something Broadcom has built in the chipset and it's used by Asus. My assumption before testing it - snake oil. :)

I'm not a gamer - accepting test methodology suggestions. I'm planning to connect two identical devices to LAN1 and LAN2 and run identical games with massive download on background taking almost the entire ISP bandwidth. I want to see how LAN1 connected device will be "prioritized".

What's a popular bandwidth/latency sensitive game running on Chrome OS?

The routers come with QoS disabled and NAT acceleration enabled by default. There is nothing obvious to process the packets and prioritize traffic, unless something Broadcom has built in the chipset and it's used by Asus. My assumption before testing it - snake oil. :)

I'm not a gamer - accepting test methodology suggestions. I'm planning to connect two identical devices to LAN1 and LAN2 and run identical games with massive download on background taking almost the entire ISP bandwidth. I want to see how LAN1 connected device will be "prioritized".

What's a popular bandwidth/latency sensitive game running on Chrome OS?
I don't know, maybe a three device setup? For example: 1) PC connected to vanilla ethernet port or Wi-Fi saturating the pipe (download a big file from a fast server), 2) PC/Device connected to "Gaming Port" pinging external server, and 3) PC/Device doing the same from a vanilla ethernet port. If something is managed, the ping latency should be shorter in the PC/Device connected to "Gaming Port."

I can do 2x identical wired Chromebooks running the same game and 1x Wi-Fi download on max speed in background, but I have to use USB-to-Ethernet adapters. I also have available 2x identical HP Win11 laptops, but no Ethernet ports either. Setting up 2x HP EliteDesk PCs will take a lot of time. I have the PC's, but no drive/OS. I'll figure out something. I want 2x identical clients connected to LAN1 and LAN2 doing the same thing at the same time.

So, ever got to test it..?

actually, gaming port is not the unique term in ASUS, seems that TP is going to have the gaming port recently (or already?)
but well, don't know whether they work in the same way or not

If the question is directed to me - no. Honestly, I forgot about the Gaming Port existence. :)
Hahaha, I get you! 😁
But still hoped someone would test is correctly, because in this and several other threads there is a lot of theoretical discussion, but no real conclusive testing with numbers... ;)

Oh well, maybe I test it. 🙃

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!